Sign In:

Community Happenings
  • Published
    February 8, 2010

Education briefs: dean’s list honors

Local students earn dean's list honors WALTHAM, Mass. — Bentley University announced that Megan Bauer of Rockport, a sophomore undecided business major, earned dean's list honors for the fall 2009 semester. BOSTON, Mass. — The following students were named to the dean's list at Northeastern University for the fall 2009 semester: psychology major Oliver Bradeen of Camden, engineering undeclared major Steven ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Lobsterman to address American Association of University Women

Ryan Post will discuss the life of a lobsterman following the monthly business meeting of the Mid-coast branch of the American Association of University Women on Wednesday, Feb. 17 at 1 p.m. in the Community Room of the Rockland Public Library. Co-sponsored by the library, the meeting is free and open to the public. Post, a resident of Rockland, is a fourth-generation lobsterman. His family owns and operates a ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Hope for Haiti T-shirts benefit youths in devastated villages

I am a local woman who has raised $600 for Haiti relief along with the students of the Camden-Rockport Middle School. My fundraiser is ongoing and I would love to get the word out further. My name is Carrie Hedstrom. I am a 32-year-old stay-at-home mom. I live in Camden with my husband, Tom, and my children, Connor, 9, Brady, 8, Cam, 6, Theodore, 4, and Pearl, 1. I am also an art quilter and have my work ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Murray of Hope to return from overseas National Guard service

Army National Guard Capt. Zebulan V. Murray is returning to the United States after a deployment to Iraqi or Afghanistan in support of operation Iraqi Freedom or Enduring Freedom, respectively. Murray and other soldiers will return to Fort Dix, N.J., for debriefing, evaluations and out-processing procedures before returning to their regularly assigned Army Reserve or National Guard units. Murray, a field ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Think outside the hutch: rabbits as house pets

Wendy Andresen will bring Cosi the house bunny to Merryspring Nature Center to demonstrate the joys and challenges of having rabbits as house pets Tuesday, Feb. 16 at noon. Cosi will show off his toys, litter box, eating habits and cardboard castle. Andresen will discuss the many pleasures and responsibilities of keeping rabbits as indoor pets. Parents need not fear that rabbits will be promoted as the perfect ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Transportation museum to host WinterFest

The Owls Head Transportation Museum will hold its fourth annual WinterFest -- a winter transportation festival -- on Saturday, Feb. 20 and Sunday, Feb. 21. The two-day event will feature Lombard Log Hauler demonstrations, Model T snowmobile rides, an antique snowmobile parade, as well as many fun family-oriented activities. Owners of pre-1990 snowmobiles, snowplows, snow blowers, sleighs, toboggans, sleds or ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Mid-Coast Audubon offers program on lynx at Camden library

Mid-Coast Audubon will host a program about lynx on Thursday, Feb. 18 at 6:30 p.m. at the Camden Public Library. The presenter, Jennifer Vashon, is a wildlife biologist with the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. She has studied lynx in northern Maine for 10 years. She received her bachelor's degree in wildlife management from the University of Maine and a master's degree in wildlife science ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Planning spring planting at Merryspring

Hammon Buck will give a slide presentation titled "What's New for 2010?" at Merryspring Nature Center on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at noon. Attendees will find out what new annuals, perennials and shrubs will be this year's highlights. Buck, a graduate of Cornell University, has been observing the Maine garden landscape for more than 30 years from his vantage point as the founder of Plants Unlimited. As the proprietor ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Naturalists to share knowledge at Merryspring’s winter ecology festival

Merryspring Nature Center in Camden will host its annual Family Winter Ecology Festival on Saturday, Feb. 13 from 10 a.m. to noon. There will be indoor and outdoor activities for people of all ages. Wildlife rehabilitator Barbara Tomlinson of Wild Haven will introduce live birds of prey -- a barred owl, red-shouldered hawk and turkey vulture -- at her presentations at 10 a.m., 10:45 a.m. and 11 a.m. She will ...

• Published
    February 8, 2010

Education briefs: kindergarten registration, Mad Science Night, scholarships

SAD 28 kindergarten registration CAMDEN — Maine School Administrative District 28 is pleased to welcome all students who will be 5 years old on or before Oct. 15, 2010, and will be attending kindergarten in September 2010. Parents are asked to contact the school secretary at 236-7807 as soon as possible and registration materials will then be mailed to the parents. Children will be scheduled for a visit to ...

• Offers
  • Briefs
close x