Waldoboro man who shot officer had filed for divorce two days earlier

By Stephen Betts | Feb 07, 2017

Waldoboro — The Waldoboro man who was shot and killed Jan. 22, after he fired on a police officer responding to a domestic disturbance call, had filed for divorce less than two days earlier.

Jon Michael Alspaugh died of gunshot wounds to the head and torso after police responded to a residence at the end of the River Bend Road for a report of a domestic disturbance. Police say he was shot after he shot Officer John Lash.

Lash suffered bruised ribs, but avoided more serious injuries when his bulletproof vest stopped the bullet.

According to paperwork filed at the Lincoln County Courthouse in Wiscasset, Alspaugh had filed for divorce Jan. 20.

There were no disputes over real estate, personal property, spousal support, or attorney fees, according to paperwork filed in court.

The couple had married in West Liberty, Ohio, in June 1998.

The Alspaughs had moved to the area about 2000. He had worked at FMC's carrageenan plant in Rockland from 2013 through 2015 before being hired in November 2015 by the city as its assistant director of the wastewater treatment plant.

Treatment Plant Director Terry Pinto said Tuesday that there were no words to express his shock that Alspaugh would have committed such an act.

"He was calm, cool and collected. He was a nice person," Pinto said.

Pinto said he was aware that Alspaugh was going through a divorce, but that he never spoke negatively about his wife or the situation.

Alspaugh had turned 57 two weeks prior to his death.

There was no response to a message left with his wife.

Brian MacMaster of the Maine Attorney General's Office said a week after the shooting that this type of investigation takes a long time and it is always difficult to predict a final date. He said no further information on the shooting would be released until then.

Lash remains on paid administrative leave while the Maine Attorney General's Office conducts an investigation, which is standard procedure when deadly force is used, Waldoboro Police Chief Bill Labombarde said Tuesday.

The chief said two weeks ago that he backed his officers.

"I back my officers 110 percent, in this case 150 percent," Labombarde said two weeks ago.

Alspaugh's wife and another family member were at the home when the shooting occurred. No one else was injured.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.