To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Veterans honored at middle school

By Beth A. Birmingham | Nov 10, 2014
Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham Doug Curtis Jr., a retired Army colonel and a graduate of Rockland District High School, addresses the audience at the annual Veteran's Appreciation Day assembly at Rockland District Middle School Nov. 10.

Rockland — Rockland District Middle School held its annual Veteran's Appreciation Day breakfast and assembly Nov. 10.

More than 35 veterans attended the event, sponsored by the RDMS Student Council.

Following the breakfast, veterans were escorted to the gymnasium led by bagpiper Ian Erickson. The RDMS band played "America the Beautiful" and the chorus sang "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Veteran and teacher Chuck Gallagher addressed the audience. He told the student body that the 25 million veterans throughout the country represent only 7 percent of the population, which serves to protect the other 93 percent.

"They don't do it for the pay. They don't do it for the glory," said Gallagher, adding they do it to safeguard the country and its freedom.

Superintendent John McDonald read a poem entitled "The Noble and The Brave" and retired Army Col. Doug Curtis Jr., a Rockland District High School graduate, talked about "duty, honor, country and sacrifice."

Closing out the assembly, a slideshow was presented to thank the veterans for their selfless service. Seventh-grade teachers Rachel Campbell and Adam Roberge had assisted the students in making the slideshow, while fifth-grade teacher Louise Cornforth wrote the poem used in the presentation and assisted with the various decorations along with art teacher Richard Wehnke.

Veterans Day is officially observed Nov. 11.

Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at bbirmingham@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Sierra Holloway-Fischer, left, prepares a flower for veteran Woody Greenier at the annual Veteran's Appreciation Day at Rockland District Middle School Nov. 10. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Clockwise from left, veterans Tom Molloy, Bill Molloy, David Oakes, Robert Jones, and Barbie Gauthier enjoy some camaraderie at the annual Veteran's Appreciation Day at Rockland District Middle School Nov. 10. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Alexa Barstow, center, attends to veterans Howie Edwards, left, and Dave Bartosik at the annual Veteran's Appreciation Day breakfast at Rockland District Middle School Nov. 10. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Members of the American Legion Post 1 of Rockland post the colors at an assembly recognizing veterans Nov. 10 at Rockland District Middle School. From left are Bill Lawry, Dave Bartosik and John Weatherby. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Bagpiper Ian Erickson leads the more than 30 veterans into the assembly honoring their service at the annual Veteran's Appreciation Day at Rockland District Middle School Nov. 10. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Rockland District Middle School band, led by Abi Nash, performs at the annual Veteran's Appreciation assembly Nov. 10. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Veterans and members of the student body and staff at Rockland District Middle School say the Pledge of Allegiance at the annual Veteran's Appreciation Day assembly Nov. 10. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
The Student Council at Rockland District Middle School, front from left: Etta Cormier, Heather Stephenson, Cadence Lamkins, Jenna Lessard, Chase Allenwood, Elijah Esancy, and Sierra Holloway-Fischer; and back, Mason Curtis, Michael Grey, Nathaniel Barnard, Alexa Barstow, Amanda Frost, Michael Frost, Grace Pratt and Emily Knutson. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
The doors to the gymnasium at Rockland District Middle School are appropriately decorated for the annual Veteran's Appreciation Day Nov. 10. Fifth-grade teacher Louise Cornforth and students were responsible for the decorations throughout the gym. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at knox.villagesoup.com/join.
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at knox.villagesoup.com/donate.
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.
Note: If you signed up using our new subscriber portal, your username is the email address you registered with and your password is in all caps