Injured identified

Three seriously injured in head-on crash on Route 1

All three taken to EMMC in Bangor
By Staff | Apr 29, 2013
Photo by: Dwight Collins Emergency crews work to free the driver of a car involved in a head-on crash April 29 in Rockport.

Rockport — Three people badly injured in a two-car accident Monday afternoon are in serious condition and were transported from Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor the evening of April 29.

Emergency crews responded to the scene of head-on crash involving two vehicles on Route 1 in Rockport that happened just before 3 p.m. the same day. The accident occurred in the vicinity of 477 Commercial St.

According to Rockport Police Sgt. Travis Ford, Terry Ripley, 43, of Northport was operating a 1995 Ford Escort station wagon south on Route 1. Also in the car was Melissa Parker, 31, of Lincolnville. Traveling northbound was 73-year-old Thomas Tarbox of Camden in a 2003 MiniCooper..

The cars crashed head-on and both came to rest in the southbound lane. Both cars received heavy front end damage. Both Ripley and Parker had to be extricated from the Ford Escort by members of the Camden First Aid Association Access Team.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation and Ford said Monday evening he still needed confer with the accident reconstruction investigator.

"We still don't have a cause yet, the accident is still under investigation," Ford said. "I still need to speak with two of the injured people and talk with [Sgt.] Ken Smith of the Rockland Police Department who is doing the reconstruction for us."

Ford also added that once he is able to gather all of the numbers and information from the reconstruction investigation it will be much easier to speak on a cause of the crash.

A late model Mini Cooper sits with the front end smashed in as members of Rockport Fire Department move one of three injured people to an awaiting Camden First Aid Association ambulance. (Photo by: Dwight Collins)
Emergency crews wheel a second patient to a waiting Camden First Aid Association ambulance the afternoon of April 29. A two-car crash in Rockport near State of Maine Cheese resulted in three serious injuries. (Photo by: Dwight Collins)
Comments (1)
Posted by: Steve Gibbons | Apr 29, 2013 18:45

Very fortunate there were no fatalities. Great coordinated effort on scene by all emergency responders.

If you wish to comment, please login.