Thomaston Town Office preps for move

By Christine Simmonds | Dec 03, 2019
Photo by: Christine Simmonds Thomaston Town Office is located in historic Watts Block on Main Street.

Thomaston — The Thomaston Town Office is preparing to move into the former Lura Libby school building after more than 100 years at its current location in historic Watts Block.

According to The Courier-Gazette archives and Watts Hall Rentals' website, the Watts Block has been home to the Thomaston Town Office, then called the Selectmen’s Office, since 1890.

Watts Block was a gift to the Town of Thomaston from shipbuilder Captain Samuel Watts. The deed to the building was presented to the town in November of 1890, shortly before construction was completed.

The current Watts Block is not the one built and gifted by Captain Watts, however. In the early morning hours of June 6, 1915, “the most destructive fire in Thomaston’s history” raged through the town, destroying multiple buildings and businesses. The blaze lasted four hours, and Watts Block was reduced to “one small section of the front wall” when it was finally extinguished.

Watts Block was rebuilt before the end of the year and with the full support of the town. The new building was larger and featured Watts Hall as well as the Post Office and retail space. At that time town business was conducted on the second floor.

Thomaston Code Enforcement Officer Bill Wasson said they hope to have renovations finished to former Lura Libby School by the second week of January.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Dale Hayward | Dec 03, 2019 20:42

Could be a mess to move in February or March.

 



If you wish to comment, please login.