Thomaston school evacuated over odor

By Stephen Betts | Mar 08, 2019
Source: RSU 13 website

Thomaston — A faulty regulator in a heating system led to an odor, suspected of being a propane leak, at Thomaston Grammar School causing an evacuation Friday morning, March 8.

Thomaston Fire Chief Mikial Mazzeo said crews responded and tested the air and found no propane present. The heating company repair crew was at the scene to repair the regulator, the chief said.

Mazzeo praised the school staff for making the correct decision by evacuating the building when the odor was detected. Students were moved to the nearby Oceanside Middle School.

The call about the odor came in shortly before 8 a.m.

The chief said propane has no odor, but a chemical is added that does have an odor to alert people if there is a leak. The regulator was outside and the odor entered the building.

The odor was concentrated in the kitchen and in a corner of the gymnasium nearest the kitchen.

There was no heat or hot water while the repairs were being made.

Regional School Unit 13 Superintendent John McDonald said at 10 a.m. students were returning to the school, which has 116 students.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.