The little fire engine that could -- and did

Sep 14, 2017
Courtesy of: Bill Maxwell Waldoborough Historical Society's 1838 Water Witch previously belonged to the town's fire department.

Waldoboro — The little Water Witch Fire Engine, which played a major role in the development of the Waldoboro Fire Department beginning in 1838, and whose present home is the Waldoborough Historical Society’s Museum, brought recognition to Waldoboro Saturday, Sept. 9, she was awarded First Place in the Class B Restored Hand Tub Engines Competition at the Annual Convention of the Maine State Federation of Fire Fighters, held in Boothbay.

The driver of her trailer in the parade was WHS Associate Trustee Lt. Roy Hatch who, with the help of several members of Waldoboro’s Fireman’s Association, loaded the engine on a new horse trailer loaned for the drive by Mike Phillips of On the Road in Warren.

The Water Witch spent last winter being painted by Peter Achorn of Fire Gold Restoration after having been physically restored by WHS Trustee Jim Derby. She came back to the museum in June and has been on display throughout the summer.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.