To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Knife was used to kill Roger Feltis

State police said Vinalhaven man's death was homicide

By Stephen Betts | Jun 19, 2020
Photo by: Stephen Betts Brandon Cox, foreground, was one of the two dozen people who turned out June 19 to the Knox County Courthouse calling for justice for Roger Feltis, who was killed June 14 on Vinalhaven.

Rockland — Maine State Police announced Friday, June 19, that the man who died on Vinalhaven June 14 died as a result of injuries inflicted with a knife.

The State Medical Examiner's Office ruled the death of 28-year-old Roger Feltis a homicide. However, State Police and the Knox County Sheriff's Office continue to investigate the circumstances of the death.

Feltis was fatally injured during a confrontation at the home of Dorian and Briannah Ames on the Roberts Cemetery Road, according to a news release from the Maine Department of Public Safety. Briannah Ames was also injured during the confrontation and was treated and released from Pen Bay Medical Center.

Investigators will continue to review evidence, the autopsy results and interviews in consultation with the Attorney General's Office.

No one has been charged. Homicide means that one person caused the death of another person. Homicide can include murder, manslaughter or justified use of lethal force in self defense.

Dorian Ames, 27, Vinalhaven, has been free on bail for an unrelated incident from Sept. 15 on Vinalhaven.  Police said he fired a gun into a pickup truck in which a woman was sitting.

He was charged with reckless conduct with a firearm, possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, criminal mischief and discharging a firearm near a dwelling.

He pleaded not guilty to the September charges in January and has been free on bail. There is no pending court date.

About two dozen friends of Feltis gathered June 19 in front of the Knox County Courthouse in Rockland, calling for police to arrest someone for his death.

The initial report to police Sunday night, June 14, shortly before 10 p.m. was about a man bleeding severely from a neck wound.

Jennie Candage, who was Feltis' girlfriend said she would not comment about the case but talked about Feltis.

"He would give you the shirt off his back," she said.

The two met last fall and had their first date Oct. 12.

"We were inseparable since then," she said.

Brandon Cox of Spruce Head was one of the protesters. He said he knew Feltis since high school and wants justice for him.

Feltis was a sternman on a lobster boat and was a clammer. He lived in Waldoboro before moving out on to Vinalhaven.

The protesters disbanded about 3:30 p.m. Another protest is planned Sunday evening, June 20, on the island.

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.