Serial sex assault offender to serve more than six years

By Stephen Betts | Sep 08, 2017
Glenn Reed

Belfast — A 69-year-old Searsmont man with a lengthy record of sexual assaults in Knox and Waldo counties will serve more than six years in prison.

Glenn Reed was sentenced Aug. 30 in Waldo County Court for unlawful sexual contact and violating probation. He was ordered to serve six years and nine months in prison.

Reed was most recently arrested in February after police received a complaint from a woman who said she accepted a ride from Reed and he touched her in a sexually inappropriate way.

Reed was on probation for unlawful sexual contact at the time.

That case that resulted in probation came to light in 2014 when a 14-year-old girl wrote about the assault in a school essay. The assault occurred at a home in Searsmont.

Reed initially agreed to a police request to take a polygraph test, but on the day the test was scheduled, he canceled, claiming he was having a heart attack. He also claimed he was suffering from dementia and did not recall the girl.

His fist trial on that charge ended in a mistrial, when a defense witness mentioned Reed was on the state sex offender registry list. The trial judge had earlier barred any mention of Reed's prior convictions.

The trial was rescheduled for March 2016, but just before the trial was to begin, he pleaded no contest to the unlawful sexual contact charge. A no contest plea results in a conviction. Reed was sentenced to eight years in prison with all but one year suspended, to be followed by three years of probation.

Reed's criminal record dates back to 1965. In 1974, he was convicted of breaking into the office of Oasis Hotel on Myrtle Street in Rockland and stealing 26 cartons of cigarettes.

The first sex offense occurred when, at age 33, he was charged with raping a 16-year-old girl in Lincolnville who had been walking home from the Center Store along Route 52 on a July evening in 1981. The girl, who was vacationing in Lincolnville, said Reed offered her a ride home. She accepted, but he refused to let her out of his vehicle, drove her to his home in Lincolnville and raped her, according to previously published reports.

The trial ended with a conviction in 1982, but the Maine Supreme Judicial Court overturned it in 1983 on a 3-2 ruling, saying the trial judge erred by not allowing testimony from Reed that the girl was a voluntary social companion. A second trial that year ended with a deadlocked jury. The third trial ended in 1984 with a conviction. The state's highest court upheld that conviction in an August 1984 ruling and Reed served nearly three years in prison for the rape.

While fighting the rape charge, Reed was charged with, and later convicted of, arson for setting a fire to collect insurance money to pay his legal expenses. He was also convicted of tampering with a witness for arranging for inmates to try to silence a witness in the arson case.

In 1987, shortly after he got out of prison, Reed was charged with three counts of gross sexual misconduct and one count of unlawful sexual contact. Among several reports of assaults, it was alleged he sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl while taking her to Penobscot Bay Medical Center in Rockport to have casts removed from both her arms.

A Knox County jury convicted Reed of those charges in December 1987.

Reed appealed his conviction and was freed on bail 10 months later, pending the ruling on the appeal. In September 1989, a divided Maine Supreme Court overturned the verdict, ruling the trial judge erred by allowing testimony from a child psychologist who told jurors the victim exhibited signs of having been sexually abused by a family member. The justices ruled it was not expert testimony that could be supported by empirical evidence.

In March 2013 Reed was arrested after he sexually assaulted a store clerk in Belfast. He told the clerk he was having a bad day and asked for a hug. When the clerk agreed, he groped her and made sexual comments, according to previously published reports.

He was convicted in June of that year for unlawful sexual touching, assault and disorderly conduct. He was sentenced to six months in jail and placed on probation for a year.

Comments (4)
Posted by: Mary A McKeever | Sep 09, 2017 15:53

Sick!  I feel the child's pain. I agree he should be locked away for life in a dungeon.

Posted by: Laurie Giusto | Sep 09, 2017 08:15

No way is that long enough!  He should get at least 52 years.   This would account for the years since 1965 when he was first charged with committing sexual assault.  He has destroyed so many lives in all those years.  As soon as he's out he will have the opportunity to destroy even more lives.  His sickness is not curable.  He will never stop.

Posted by: David O'Connell | Sep 08, 2017 19:42

If his rap sheet doesn't get him more than 6 it is clear there is something tragically wrong with our court system.

Posted by: Nina Reed | Sep 08, 2017 11:21

How many? How many times does someone have to commit such a vulgar, heinous crime before they are locked away for life? The life sentence should not be reserved only for those who take a human life by ending it. It should be imposed on any person who takes another person's life by taking their innocence or their trust of other people. They invade their victims thoughts while awake or sleeping-there is no escape. And yet, after a few brief days, weeks, months or years, the monster is back on the street once more, looking for his next target. He will never change, never be rehabilitated. He has proven it time and time again, and yet he is give one chance after another in society. It really is too bad that citizens cannot vote on sentencing imposed on criminals like this. The prisons would be a lot more full and a lot of young children, women, or men would feel a lot safer at night. ~Melanie Keene

If you wish to comment, please login.