Rockport family issues statement in wake of murders

By Stephen Betts | Sep 12, 2017
Orion Krause

Rockport — The family of a 22-year-old Rockport man accused of beating four people to death -- including his mother and grandparents -- issued a statement Tuesday afternoon.

"Members of the Krause family want to express their deepest sympathies to the family of Bertha Mae Parker," the Sept. 12 statement starts.

Parker, 68, was a health care worker who cared for the grandparents of 22-year-old Orion Krause in their home in Groton, Mass.

"They (Krause family) know too well the pain they are experiencing today. They are also grateful to all who have shown them compassion and support including, particularly, the people of Groton and the Groton Police Department. Beyond that they will have no further comment at this time. They ask that the media respect their privacy."

"The family is equally appreciative of the support they have received in Rockport," the statement concluded.

Orion Krause is being held at Bridgewater State Hospital in Bridgewater, Mass. for four counts of murder. A judge ordered a psychiatric evaluation for Krause to determine if he is competent to stand trial. He will be in court next on Oct. 30 unless the evaluation is done earlier.

Also killed Friday, Sept. 8 were Krause's mother Elizabeth "Buffy" Krause, 60, of Rockport; and her parents Frank Darby Lackey III, 89, and Elizabeth Lackey, 85, both of Common Street in Groton.

Krause's attorney Edward Wayland of Boston issued the statement on the family's behalf.

Wayland said the defense was in support of the judge's order to have the psychiatric evaluation done on the 22-year-old Rockport man.

The young man has no criminal record in Maine. Camden and Rockport Police Chief Randy Gagne said Monday that police had one other involvement concerning Orion Krause before last week when his mother called them to express concern about her son leaving the house.

The chief said he could not comment on the reason for their involvement about a year ago with Orion Krause but said it was not a criminal matter.

Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan said Orion Krause left his home in Rockport initially in his vehicle, but later called his mother from the Boston area saying he needed a ride back to Rockport.

His mother picked him up Friday at an unspecified location in the Boston area and while initially planning to return to Maine, instead decided to go to the grandparents' home in Groton, which is about 40 miles northwest of Boston, the district attorney said.

The prosecutor said Orion Krause made a telephone call Friday afternoon to someone he knew, which was of such a concern that the person -- whom she did not identify -- contacted family members of Krause's. Soon after, Groton police received a call from neighbors of the Lackeys reporting that the 22-year-old man was at their home.

Various media outlets in Massachusetts reported that the neighbors said Orion Krause arrived at their home covered in mud, with some blood on him, and admitted murdering four people.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.