Penobscot Bay history, online

Feb 05, 2013
Courtesy of: Penobscot Marine Museum Pictured in this photo is the family of Captain W.R. Gilkey, left. The woman is his wife, Georgia P. Sawyer Gilkey; and one of the little girls is Georgia Maria, who later married another Searsport captain, Phineas Banning Blanchard, and sailed with him for many years.

Searsport — Penobscot Bay History Online is the Penobscot Marine Museum's new education site where students, teachers, researchers and other users can learn about maritime history and culture. Now more resources are available online for schools, historians, researchers and anyone interested in knowing more about the history of the Midcoast area.

The site contains 11 education modules including educators’ tools and additional resources; a searchable collection that includes historic photographs and images of manuscripts, paintings, maps, charts and objects to support student research projects; a glossary to help understand maritime terminology; “The Journal of Edwin Mitchell,” written by a 16-year-old boy who sailed from Belfast to California and back in 1866; “The Log of the Coolie Master” by John O. Shaw; and “The Journal of Margaret Oakes,” written by a Brewer teenager who accompanied her sea captain father, Captain George Oakes, on a voyage in 1880-81

Of special note are two new chapters exploring the role of women at sea; and of the sea captains of Searsport. The new website may be visited at For more information about the education programs at the museum, call 548-2529.

Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115 or

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.