Past Tense

One of the largest tugboats on the coast

By Staff | Aug 07, 2013
1913 — Railroad brings out of season fruits to New England.

A search through the archives revealed the following:

One year ago, 2012
Local farm brings organic produce to Hannaford year-round — Shoppers at Hannaford in Camden, Rockland, and Belfast will notice a new addition to the produce aisle. Ararat Farms in Lincolnville, will make the first delivery of vegetables from the organic farm to stores in August.

Four high school students were drawing the attention of those along Camden waterfront this week. The group held a field test for a solar-powered cell phone charging station.

Edna St. Vincent Millay's teenage years of 1908 to 1912 and their impact on her life and verse will be the subject of talk called "This Beautiful Doorway: Edna St. Vincent Millay on Chestnut Street," presented by Mary Pilote. Millay was a Jazz age icon, the goddess of American poetry whose books often outsold the novels of Ernest Hemingway. A Camden native and graduate of Camden High School, Millay emerged from her coastal village to become the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1923.

 

Five years ago, 2008

The Camden Public Library welcomes all members of the community to the grand opening of the Edward J. Walsh History Center. The center is being named after Edward J. Walsh, a former Camden businessman and resident of Lincolnville who operated business in the area and was a member of numerous Camden-area organizations. With more than 4,700 items in the database and arguably the most extensive historical Camden-area photo collection available, the center will bring a valuable resource to the library for its customers. Much of the collection belongs to the library, but during the last four years members of the community have donated or loaned documents, photos, and ephemera that will be digitized for preservation and available to researchers around the world through the center's searchable website.

 

10 years ago, 2003

A nearly 80-year-old stone hut atop Beech Hill has been placed in the National Register of Historic places.

Pearse Farm keeps dairy tradition alive in Hope — With dairy farms across Maine on the decline, it falls on individuals like members of the Pearse family to keep the milk industry flowing. The Pearse farm is one of the few still in the Midcoast, and has a long history — it has been in the family since the town was settled in the late 18th century.

The Maine Legislation has taken action during past months to give dairy farmers some much needed assistance. The prices for milk have been historically low in the past 20 months. "That puts a lot of stress on many farmers, and will put some out of business." said Stanley Millay of the Maine Milk Commission.

 

25 years ago, 1988

Camden- Rockport Historical Society marks 50 years of community activity. Current projects of the society range from annual antiques shows to a yearly Conway Day celebration, designed to honor Camden's Civil War hero William Conway, whose homestead members maintain.

The Appleton Historical Society is funding the restoration to the 140-year-old Appleton Union Meeting House. Although members originally wanted to use the existing boards for repairs, this has proved impractical in maintaining the building's longevity.

 

50 years ago, 1963

The Lobster Festival, or more recently named Sea Food Festival, is over for another year. Everyone had a real good time and their fill of foods from the sea.

The Annual Maintenance Drive for Camden Community Hospital is now under way. The 1963 goal is $7,000. The Camden Community Hospital has rendered more service during the past year than ever before.

 

100 years ago, 1913

The ocean-going tug Charles P. Greenough one of the largest tugboats on the coast was successfully launched from the yard of Cobb Butler & Co., Rockland. The launching was an exceptionally pretty one. The tug was christened by Miss Emily Gallagher, daughter of Charles T. Gallagher of Boston, one of our well-known summer residents. The tug Charles P. Greenough, named for a leading Boston lawyer, is a splendid boat 144-feet long, breadth 26 1/2 and 15 feet 11 inches in depth. She is built in the most solid manner and will be fitted up in the best possible manner, she was designed by John J. Wardwell of the Cobb Butler Co., and while built for use has all the lines of beauty. The tugboat will be used in towing barges in the coal trade.

New England gets strawberries in February and  Melons in May. All of this has been brought about not by some agricultural wizard's work in our gardens, not by our meteorologists work in studying the weather, but by the railroads. It is the result solely of the perfecting of our modern methods of transportation, the bringing up of our main steel highways.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.