Mother injured in Port Clyde crash released from hospital

By Juliette Laaka | Aug 28, 2013

Portland — Allison Gold, the mother of two young sons, one of whom was killed in a car crash Aug. 11, has been discharged from Maine Medical Center in Portland, confirmed the hospital's communications office Aug. 28.

Local and state law enforcement officials are working to find out why 61-year-old Cheryl Torgerson crashed her car on the Monhegan Boat Landing in Port Clyde Aug. 11, killing Gold's son Dylan, injuring three others, and damaging vehicles and a building.

The family, Gold, her husband Howard, and sons Dylan and Wyatt, were visiting from Cohassett, Mass. They were walking toward the Monhegan Boat Landing at about 2:45 p.m. when a 2007 Infiniti, driven by Togerson, of New York City, crashed into the busy landing.

Dylan Gold, 9, was killed in the crash. His mother, 50, and 6-year-old brother, Wyatt, were rushed by LifeFlight helicopter to Maine Medical Center in Portland. The father was not injured.

Also injured was Jonathan Coggeshall, 68, of Port Clyde.

Coggeshall and Wyatt Gold have been released from hospitals.

The car struck one vehicle first and then crashed into the corner of the Monhegan Boat Lines ticket office, striking Coggeshall in the process, according to the press release from the Knox County Sheriff's Office. For some unknown reason, the car continued accelerating, hitting the Gold family and crashing into six other vehicles that were parked on the wharf.

Chief Deputy Tim Carroll said Aug. 12  Torgerson had not been able to provide an explanation for why her car continued to accelerate and why the crash took place. He said she was distraught after the crash.

Torgerson was a tourist visiting the area and planned to go on the ferry at the time of the crash, Carroll said. She was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center as a precaution following the crash, but was not seriously injured, according to Sheriff Donna Dennison.

Police took a sample of the driver's blood to check for alcohol or drugs, Carroll said. They are awaiting results of the test. He said that in observing her, there was no indication that she was impaired by intoxicants or any medical issue.

An Aug. 21 vehicle autopsy gathered information from the vehicle's computer. The information has not been looked at yet to understand what was retrieved, Knox County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Tim Carroll said in a press release.

The actual autopsy of the vehicle mechanics will be performed at a later date to be determined soon, said the release.

The sedan, impounded at Warren Auto Barn, will be autopsied by Christopher Rogers of the Maine State Police, said Knox County Sheriff Donna Dennison.

Dennison said the computer from the vehicle will be inspected as well as components of the car, to determine if the crash was caused by a mechanical failure. The vehicle's computer may be able to provide more in-depth information about what was happening immediately before and during the crash.

Courier Publications' reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 118 or via email at

Comments (1)
Posted by: Laurel E Taylor | Aug 29, 2013 06:37

Is it just me or does anyone else find it rather odd that it takes so long to get blood work back and an autopsy of a car done?

If you wish to comment, please login.