To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Missing man found safe

By Stephen Betts | Feb 24, 2020
Photo by: Knox County Sheriff's Office Thomas Hackett

A 29-year-old Pennsylvania man missing since Feb. 20 was found safe.

Knox County Sheriff Tim Carroll announced the news Thursday, Feb. 24.

"Thomas Hackett, 29, of Pennsylvania has been located. Knox County Deputies are speaking with him currently to complete the investigation into his disappearance since Thursday. Thank you all for your assistance. It is good to report a positive outcome," Carroll stated.

No additional details have been released yet.

Hackett was last seen Thursday, Feb. 20 at a Walmart in Pennsylvania. His car was found at a relative's home on Hendrickson Point Road in Owls Head Feb. 22 and his disappearance was reported to police.

The Sheriff’s Office began investigating a missing person complaint in Owls Head at about 12:30 p.m. Feb. 22. The report came into the Knox County Regional Communications Center stating that family members arrived at another family’s vacant residence in Owls Head and found Hackett's vehicle in the driveway.

Hackett’s relationship with the family recently became troubled and they were not expecting his vehicle to be there. When deputies arrived, they found writings on the exterior of the residence that were concerning to the well-being of Hackett.

Deputies checked further around the property and found a single set of footprints leading to the water where a pair of shoes and food items were left on the rocks near the water's edge.

The Maine Marine Patrol was immediately notified and requested to assist in the search. In discussion with the family members, Hackett was reported to be very upset by recent events concerning his family and feared he may harm himself after discovering the written communication.

Knox County deputies and Maine Marine Patrol searched the area around the residence Saturday afternoon, along the shore and across to Sheep Island by foot, boat and air until it was too dark. Deputy Chris Taylor spoke with family members and neighbors to investigate further.

Sunday morning, Feb. 23, efforts were put in place for the Maine Marine Patrol personnel, airplane, boats and State Police dive team to assist in the search.

The Sheriff's Office also received information that an unknown person was seen late Friday afternoon in a yellow, orange or possibly red kayak between the Owls Head shore, Sheep Island, and north towards the Owls Head Lighthouse.

Search efforts continued with additional help from Owls Head Fire Department and Rockland Fire Department throughout the day as The Courier-Gazette tries to gather more information as well.

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at
Comments (1)
Posted by: Kendall Merriam | Feb 25, 2020 10:22

What a good outcome.

If you wish to comment, please login.
Note: If you signed up using our new subscriber portal, your username is the email address you registered with and your password is in all caps