High school girls lacrosse

Mariners push Shipbuilders to limit in competitive match

Opponents battle hard on Sam Pendleton Field
By Ken Waltz | May 16, 2014
Photo by: Ken Waltz Oceanside's Jillian Brooks, front, moves the ball against Morse during a May 15 high school girls lacrosse match in Thomaston. The visiting Shipbuilders made a late offensive push for a 10-6 victory.

Thomaston — "Wow, that was a game."

Thus were the words of Oceanside girls lacrosse coach Angie Vachon. And, in a phrase, her assessment of the match was right on target.

The host Mariners battled back to tie a regular-season match with visiting Morse of Bath 6-6 late in the match on Thursday afternoon, May 15, only to watch the Shipbuilders end the affair with four unanswered goals and a 10-6 victory on Sam Pendleton Field.

Click for photos from this match.

Alas, despite the tough loss, the performance again showed the Mariners, in their first year as a varsity program, are making dramatic strides and improvements.

With Thursday's loss, Oceanside dropped to 3-4 on the campaign.

Pacing the Mariner offense were Olivia Hupper (3 goals, 2 assists), Brittany Rytky (assist), Alexis Pine (assist), Lily Vachon (goal), Rebekah Freeman (goal) and Kelsey Brooks (goal). Bailee Cox made 11 saves in goal for Oceanside.

For Morse, Sophie Sreden and Maddy Olsen both scored two goals and Madison Savery, Ann Tolan, Taylor Gagnon, Isabelle Paulus, Ruth Nadeau and Grace Koslosky all one. Cat Sener had 11 saves in goal for the Shipbuilders.

Coach Vachon said as the Mariners continue "to make their presence known in the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference, [Thursday's] game was a true example of their continued learning and hard work."

On Thursday, the game was tied 6-6 until Morse scored four goals in the final seven minutes.

"The team worked together, smart and hard throughout; however, we had a bit of breakdown in defense and communication and got a bit too anxious to score and forgot our patience towards the end," the coach said. "This season has been a wonderful learning one, for with each game comes another lesson to help us improve for the second half of our first varsity season."

The match was competitive throughout, as Morse led 5-4 at halftime and, with 17:06 left to play, the match was tied 6-6. It stayed that way until, from the 6:43- to 2:06-marks of the second half, Morse scored four unanswered goals to pull away.

The coach said, of note, were "Kelsey Brooks’ quickness in the midfield and her heads-up running and ball control" as well as Cox’s "continued communication from the goal about where the ball is in an effort to guide her defense."

"Overall, the team’s passing and receiving is much improved and they are getting the little nuances of the game that will help them in the second half of the season," coach Vachon said. "I am proud of the team they are becoming."

In the Maine Principals' Association Heal Point Standings for Eastern Class B, Oceanside (3-4, 5.6944 points) is seventh, while Yarmouth (5-1, 49.3056 points) is first in the nine-team region. The top six teams qualify for the playoffs.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.