Man federally charged for threatening family

By Juliette Laaka | May 28, 2014
Photo by: Knox County Jail William McBroom-Stees.

Portland — An Illinois man who threatened to kill a woman's family after she fled to Maine to escape his abuse, was federally charged May 27.

William McBroom-Stees, 42, of Tampico, Ill., was abusive, addicted to drugs, and suffered from post traumatic stress disorder, the victim told Rockland Police detectives in an interview.

The victim came to Rockland to take refuge with immediate family members, but McBroom-Stees located and continued to threaten her, according to court papers.

According to the complaint filed in U.S. District Court, McBroom-Stees is charged for  transmitting threatening interstate communication when he called the victim in Maine while he was driving through Illinois. The charge is a Class D felony and is punishable to up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The defendant was arrested in Missouri in November and taken to Maine to face state felony charges of domestic violence terrorizing and stalking. He has been held on $100,000 bail since December and is in custody at the Maine State Prison.

McBroom-Stees told the victim during one conversation he was going to start the "worst blood bath in America," according to an affidavit filed in Knox County Superior Court.

McBroom-Stees, an Iraq war veteran, said he "enjoyed killing over there and I'll do it again," said court papers.

McBroom-Stees claimed he was coming to Maine to kill the victim's mother and sister. He also threatened to kill her father in California if she did not return to Illinois.

While the victim was with police, the defendant sent a picture of a handgun by text message to her, and made comments about killing her family.

He also referenced voices in his head telling him what to do, said court papers.

Some of the conversations between him and the victim were recorded by police. According to the affidavit, he called her seven times during the time she was with police, saying he knew she was with the cops. McBroom-Stees was in Missouri during this time, and said he could see a police officer driving behind him. He began to make threats about hurting the officer, and Rockland Police contacted the Missouri State Police.

Courier Publications' reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 118 or via email at

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.