To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Magnifying burn causes concern

By Susan Mustapich | Feb 11, 2020

CAMDEN — Fire departments responded to an apartment building, when sunlight passing through a large magnifying lens melted a small section of a synthetic leather couch cover and blackened the upholstery.

The Camden Fire Department responded to the call at 79 Union St. at 9:37 a.m. Feb. 9. Camden Fire Chief Chris Farley said what they found was an incipient fire, which is the initial or beginning stage of a fire.

The magnifying glass was attached to a stand, and used to aid in embroidery. Sunlight coming in a window was concentrated by the magnifier, producing enough heat to burn the couch.

The occupant was home, Farley said, and called 911.

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to look for any heat retained in the singed area or inside the couch, according to Farley.

Due to the way the incident was reported, fire departments in Rockport, Hope and Lincolnville automatically reported.

The Megunticook House at 79 Union St. is a multi-family building with 34 dwelling units for the elderly and disabled. Farley said the Fire Department appreciates getting an early warning of any issue in the building.

Farley said a similar situation occurred in a downtown retail store a couple of years ago, when a magnifying glass concentrated sunlight on a decoration in a window display, to the point where the heat caused a noticeable smoke condition.

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at
Comments (2)
Posted by: Francis Mazzeo, Jr. | Feb 12, 2020 16:44

Who would of thought we would have a tyrant for president ?

Posted by: Mary A McKeever | Feb 12, 2020 11:45

Curious! Who would have thought such could happen.

If you wish to comment, please login.