To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

News from the course

Lynch, Ott finish strong in Maine Senior Amateur Championship

Falcone wins on first playoff hole at home course in two-day, 36-hole event
By Staff | Aug 18, 2020

Portland — Pete Lynch of Goose River and Michael Ott of Megunticook, golf courses in Rockport, were among the 110 players who toiled in the annual Maine Senior Amateur Championship event.

The two-day, 36-hole tournament started under ominous skies at Riverside Golf Club on Tuesday morning, Aug. 18, and lightning moved through the area, which delayed play just before 8 a.m.

Play was halted for an hour as the storm moved through, and once the weather passed the field was treated to a beautiful couple of days.

In the two-day event, Lynch (78-80—158) and Ott (79-79—158), both +14, finished tied for 50th gross. In the 60-64 age division, Lynch finished tied for ninth net (76-78—154) and tied 15th gross. In the 55-59 division, Ott tied for 13th gross and tied for eighth net (75-75—150).

In addition to crowning an overall champion, the event awarded gross and net prizes in flights based on ages of players.

Daniel Falcone (71-72—143) has played at Riverside GC since he was 11 years old, getting onto the course every chance as a child. He grew up in Portland and caddied at the city’s municipal course to earn money as a youngster.

Fast forward 50 years, and the lifelong Riverside player captured a state title at his home club, as he claimed the senior championship on the first playoff hole against Mike O’Brien of Biddeford-Saco (74-72—143).

Both finished 1-under par.

On a whirlwind day at Riverside, the tourney was never a forgone conclusion, and at one point on the back nine holes there were 10 players tied or within one shot of the lead, including four former champions of the event.

Falcone and O’Brien went to Riverside’s eighth hole in the extra frame, and Falcone hit his tee ball into the left rough. O’Brien went with driver to challenge the reachable par-4, but blocked his drive a bit right. The ball bounded forward into an area of tall grass and the ball was never found. Falcone hit his pitch onto the green and comfortably two-putted for par to claim the title in front of a small crowd of Riverside members who had followed the action.

Courier Publications' sports staff can be reached by email at or by phone at 594-4401.

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.