UPDATED

House fire contained in Waldoboro

By Beth A. Birmingham | Nov 13, 2017
Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham Firefighters from Warren and Friendship assist the Waldoboro Fire Department in fighting a house fire in Waldoboro Monday afternoon, Nov. 13.

Waldoboro — Mutual aid was needed to battle a house fire in Waldoboro Nov. 13.

Waldoboro Fire Chief  Paul Smeltzer credits the quick response by the initial crew on the scene for being able to contain the blaze to the living room of the single-level home at 1154 Main St.

The call came in at 2:13 p.m., Smeltzer reported.

Owners Jim and Sandra O'Farrell were home at the time of the fire. They said they had just lit a fire in the fireplace and went outside in the front yard to get some wood that had been cut over the weekend.

Upon returning, they found flames coming from the front of the house. The O'Farrells were able to get a pet bird and dog out without incident.

The house is made of knotty pine, so it is all wood frame, Sandra said, and the vaulted ceilings throughout could have made battling the blaze troublesome, according to Smeltzer. A front living room window was broken out to aid in ventilation.

The chief reported smoke billowing from all sides of the house upon arrival. He said there is extensive smoke damage.

Stubborn smoke coming from the eaves of the house connecting to the garage required an overhaul to see if there was any fire between the shingles and thick planks of the structure.

The Fire Marshal's Office was notified, but the cause is being considered accidental, Smeltzer said.

With the approaching colder temperatures, Smeltzer advised homeowners to make certain their fireplaces are cleaned and inspected every year.

Main Street was closed to through traffic from more than an hour from Atlantic Highway near Moody's Diner.

Waldoboro Fire Department was assisted by Jefferson, Nobleboro, Warren, Union and Friendship at the scene. Waldoboro EMS was also on scene.

Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at bbirmingham@villagesoup.com.


Stubborn smoke continues to emerge from the eaves. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Chief Paul Smeltzer, right, gives directions for an overhaul to firefighters Nov. 13. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Homeowners Jim and Sandra O'Farrell, right, watch as firefighters investigate smoke continuing to emerge from an eave at their 1154 Main St. home in Waldoboro. In the foreground is a printer table that was pulled from the blaze Nov. 13. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Waldoboro firefighters work at extinguishing a smoldering printer desk pulled from a house fire on Main Street in Waldoboro Nov. 13. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.