Heater blamed for Rockland house fire

By Stephen Betts | Mar 18, 2019
Photo by: Stephen Betts Rockland firefighters and police responded to a Monday morning, March 18, fire at 7 Lake Ave.

Rockland — Debris was ignited, causing a fire Monday morning, March 18, inside an unoccupied Rockland house, but the fire department determined that it was the result of a heater's being left on by someone working on the building.

A neighbor to the house at 7 Lake Ave. reported the fire shortly before 7 a.m., according to Rockland Fire Chief Christopher Whytock. The neighbor saw flames inside the house, he said. When fire crews arrived, there was a debris fire in the living room, the chief said.

Rockland police were also at the scene and were inspecting a large trash container filled with debris outside the house.

The fire was put out within several minutes.

Lt. Brian Sullivan said later Monday that a heater had been left on and caused the fire.

The house is owned by Tia Anderson of Camden, according to city assessment records.

(Photo by: Stephen Betts)
(Photo by: Stephen Betts)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.