Donation account established to help family rebuild

Fire guts Cushing home

By Daniel Dunkle and Kim Lincoln | Feb 07, 2014
Photo by: Daniel Dunkle Firefighters from three towns responded Feb. 7 to a blaze that gutted a mobile home on Cushing Road.

Cushing — A fire, believed to have started by a portable heater, destroyed a mobile home at 615 Cushing Road Feb. 7.

The call came in at about 1 p.m. The home was owned by Yvette and Harold Tarbox. Yvette was the only one home at the time, according to officials on the scene.

According to neighbors BillyJo Rancourt and Kathleen Zable, Yvette came out of the house with smoke billowing out behind her and was worried about her cats. They said flames were shooting out of the windows, and it was a matter of minutes before the entire structure was engulfed in flames.

Cushing Fire Chief Arthur Kiskila said the fire began in the bathroom where a portable heating unit was being used.

Cushing Fire, along with mutual aid from Friendship and Warren responded to the call.

Yvette was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.

American Red Cross Disaster Action Team members have been called to the scene of a single-family house fire in Cushing located at Cushing Road. The affected family has been placed at a hotel and Red Cross volunteers are currently on route to assess further assistance needed.

Beth Heidemann, a Kindergarten teacher at Cushing Community School, has established a Cushing Cares account for the family to help thier effort to rebuild. She said financial donations are the most helpful as a strategy for permanent housing is implemented.

Heidemann said checks can be made out to Cushing Cares with Tarbox fire in the memo line. Checks should be mailed to the school at 54 Cross Road.

"It is important people realize these gifts are not tax deductible and not a part of the school, but still much appreciated, " she said.


Smoke pours from a mobile home on Cushing Road in Cushing Feb. 7. (Photo by: Daniel Dunkle)
This home on Cushing Road was fully engulfed in flames Feb. 7. (Photo by: Daniel Dunkle)
Fire and smoke damage destroyed the interior of the building and scorched siding and the roof. (Photo by: Daniel Dunkle)
A small flame remains after firefighters poured water into the mobile home Feb. 7 on Cushing Road. (Photo by: Daniel Dunkle)
Emergency vehicles line a narrow stretch of Cushing Road Feb. 7. Firefighters from Cushing, Friendship and Warren responded. (Photo by: Daniel Dunkle)
Comments (1)
Posted by: Russell Garfield York | Feb 08, 2014 16:43

good job to all the fire depts. good job to all

If you wish to comment, please login.