Fire at dental office thwarted

By Beth A. Birmingham | Sep 03, 2019
Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham Thomaston Fire Chief Mikial Mazzeo, left, talks with Rockland Fire Chief Chris Whytock, center, and South Thomaston Fire Chief Bryan Calderwood at the scene Sept. 3 at Thomaston Family Dentistry. A burned out motor in the vacuum system, at left, was the cause.

Thomaston — A motor in a vacuum system was to blame for what was called in as a structure fire at Thomaston Family Dentistry just after 11 a.m. Sept. 3.

Thomaston Fire Chief Mikial Mazzeo said the power to a breaker panel in the basement of the building was cut, which prevented it from developing into a fire. He said no flames were witnessed; however, a couple of pieces of wood near the motor did show signs of charring.

All occupants were evacuated while firefighters evaluated the situation and moved the motor to the driveway. A large industrial fan was then used to clear the smoke from the area.

Fire crews from South Thomaston, Rockland, Warren, Waldoboro and Cushing assisted Thomaston at the 4 Congo Ave. address.

Thomaston Ambulance was also at the scene.

The building was able to be reentered, and no one was injured.

 

Thomaston Fire Capt. Ben Adams, right, takes a photograph of a motor that was determined to be the cause of smoke at Thomaston Family Dentistry Sept. 3. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
A fan is used to clear smoke from the basement of Thomaston Family Dentistry following a smoke event Sept. 3. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Char marks are evident on this vacuum motor that also burned wood that was near it in a basement area. (Photo by: Beth A. Birmingham)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.