Careless disposal leads to Rockland fire response

By Stephen Betts | Aug 10, 2017
Photo by: Stephen Betts

Rockland — The Rockland Fire Department made quick work Aug. 10 of a small fire at a Cedar Street home.

Fire Chief Chris Whytock said the incident is a reminder to people to properly dispose of smoking materials.

Fifteen firefighters responded to the report of a fire at a single-family home at 25 Cedar St. about 12:30 p.m.

When the first crew arrived, a small fire was found in the rear of the building involving cedar siding and some framing. The fire started when a cigarette was tossed to the ground and ignited some leaves next to the house. The fire was within one foot of a propane tank and three feet from a door.

The department used about 50 gallons of water to douse the fire.

Thermal imaging cameras were used to confirm that the fire had not spread further inside the house.

Whytock advised people to make sure all smoking materials are properly discarded.

The house is owned by Eric Boucher and Raymond Goergen of Rockport, according to city assessment records.

Comments (2)
Posted by: Dale Hayward | Aug 10, 2017 16:10

Maybe charge the occupants for the call.



Posted by: Francis Mazzeo, Jr. | Aug 10, 2017 16:05

Maybe there should be a return charge on cigarette butts like there is on cans and bottles.



If you wish to comment, please login.