A Beginner's Guide to Getting Fit and Healthy

By Jennifer Noble | Oct 10, 2017

Have you realized that you need to lose weight and stay in shape? Or, maybe your doctor told you that you needed to lose some pounds if you wish to streamline your blood pressure? Well, you are not alone. Many people are in the same dilemma. Weight loss and fitness is a sensitive topic in today's world. Although you might not be dreaming of perfect abs and huge biceps, nobody minds being healthy and fit.


There are various things that you should put in place to ensure you lead a healthy life and remain fit at the same time. Below are such measures and a beginner's guide to getting healthy and fit.


Right Mindset


Even before you start thinking about what kind of foods and exercises to do, consider having the right mindset. Get to know why you want to lose weight. Is it because you don't feel good about how you look? If this is the case, you first need to surround yourself with positive minded people. Failing is the enemy of getting healthy and fit.


If you are exercising, do it to lose weight, not to become thin. Eat to gain body nourishment. Let your failures act as a motivating factor; even when everything seems to be going wrong, don't feel discouraged. There is no need to beat yourself up.


Pick SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely)


If you are a beginner, there is no sense in setting big goals that you will end up not fulfilling. Your goals should be small, specific, and attainable. This is the only way you will be able to accomplish them. Set a target of how much weight you want to lose in a specific time-frame. This way, you will stay focused on attaining that goal. If you set to lose 10 pounds in one year, you will have a clear picture of how much you need to lose on a monthly basis; put in place the right measures to succeed.


You can also decide to start with light exercises like walking to work or using the stairs instead of the elevator. These are SMART goals, and you are likely to achieve them. It is wise to write down your specific goals so that you will be checking what you have accomplished on a regular basis. Take everything slow since you are not likely to see results in one day.


Learn from your Mistakes


If you have tried getting fit and healthy before without success, identify the reasons why you failed the last time. Use your past mistakes and failures as the stepping stones. If it was the diet that didn't work, try a new one. Avoid everything that made you fail the previous times. Alternatively, you can work around those pitfalls and turn them into successes.


Clean up your diet


One thing you should keep in mind is that your fitness success relies hugely on your diet. 80% depends on what you eat. Remember that you cannot just change your diet overnight since it could be overwhelming to your body.


You should consider changing your diet gradually. The important thing is that you will need to count your calories. Eat fewer calories, drink more water, and ensure that half of your plate consists of fruits and vegetables.


Never starve yourself since it won't help you lose weight. When your body is starved, it tends to slow your metabolism, making you lose more muscle than fat. Make sure you eat three meals daily together with healthy snacks in between. Eat your food slowly and stop before you feel full. It takes a few minutes before your brain can tell the body that it has had enough food.


Keep away from fast foods. These are full of calories and cholesterol, which will just add to your weight. This is because fast foods are full of saturated fat and dense in calories. Sodas and are the number one weight loss enemies. They tend to be full of empty calories. Instead, drink plenty of water.


You can also choose the military diet plan that promises to help you lose ten pounds in one week. During the first 3 days, you get to eat 3 low-calorie meals that don’t have more than 1,300 calories. After the three days, you are allowed to eat any healthy meal, provided its maximum number of calories is 1,500. This diet is effective in those trying to lose weight.


Exercise


As diet takes 80% of your weight loss success, the remaining 20% comes from exercise. It determines how you gain or lose weight and stay fit and healthy. As you exercise, you will lose calories, get strong, and get endurance and resistance to sickness and body injuries. The two best types of exercises for a beginner are cardio and weights.


 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.