To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Police nab felon who threatened to bring gun to Walmart

By Stephen Betts | Aug 23, 2019
Photo by: Stephen Betts Jeremy Rogers made his initial appearance Friday, Aug. 23. He was represented at the hearing by defense attorney for the day William Pagnano, left. Assistant District Attorney Christopher Fernald represented the state.

Thomaston — A 25-year-old man from Connecticut was arrested Thursday evening, Aug. 22, and charged with threatening to bring a gun to the local Walmart, which resulted in the early closure of the store.

Jeremy H. Rogers, of Norwalk, Conn., was arrested shortly before 7 p.m. and charged with felony terrorizing with a dangerous weapon, felony terrorizing and felony possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

His arrest came after New York State Police alerted police in Rockport that Rogers had sent a video via Facebook messenger to a woman in New York showing him wearing a ski mask and holding an AR 15 rifle. In the video, he is quoted as saying "F... it, I'm going to Walmart," according to an affidavit filed in Knox County Court in Rockland.

A second video showed Rogers, without a mask, making disparaging comments about a woman and pointing a gun at his head, according to the affidavit.

Rockport police were alerted because family members said he had recently moved to the town.

Thomaston police were notified and Police Chief Tim Hoppe said Walmart stores in Thomaston and Augusta were made aware of the threat. The Thomaston store closed at 9 p.m. Wednesday out of caution, the chief said. The store opened as usual on Thursday.

Hoppe worked with Rockland police and they were able to track down Rogers' location to a residence on Mount Pleasant Street in Rockport.

Another video was then found on Facebook of Rogers shooting off the semi-automatic AR-15 rifle into the air on the grounds of the Mount Pleasant Street property.

Police went to the property and found it was heavily fenced, with barbed wire atop the fence.

A criminal background check of Rogers found he had convictions in 2016 in Connecticut for criminal possession of a firearm, and causing risk of injury to a child, according to court records.

Local police obtained a warrant and arrested Rogers Thursday evening.

He made his initial appearance in Knox County Court Friday, where Judge Barbara Raimondi set bail at $50,000 cash.

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at
Comments (5)
Posted by: Francis Mazzeo, Jr. | Aug 23, 2019 17:05

He's a gem( grave emotional mental disorder).

Posted by: Mary A McKeever | Aug 23, 2019 14:17

You should lock him up and throw the key away!

Posted by: Mary A McKeever | Aug 23, 2019 14:17

You should lock him up and throw the key away!

Posted by: Richard McKusic, Sr. | Aug 23, 2019 13:05

The norm around the country is $500,000 bail. :(


Posted by: T A Schwab | Aug 23, 2019 11:37

Good work!!

If you wish to comment, please login.