Harold L. Wiggin

Aug 09, 2019
Harold Wiggin

Thomaston — Harold LeRoy (Wig) Wiggin, 92, passed away peacefully at Sussman House with his loving family by his side Aug. 4, 2019.

Wig was born in South Thomaston April 24, 1927, to LeRoy Wiggin and Nellie (Steiof) Wiggin. He was the second of six children. He attended schools in South Thomaston and Rockland.

Wig left Rockland High School in his senior year and enlisted in the Navy as a combat air crewman. He joined the American Legion at Post 1 in Rockland two days after being honorably discharged from the Navy in June 1946. Returning to Rockland High School, he received his diploma. Wig then attended the University of Maine for two years, and when the Korean War broke out, he reenlisted in the Navy, serving on the aircraft carrier, USS Kula Gulf until he was once again honorably discharged from active duty. However, he remained in the Naval Reserve.

In 1952 he married Alice Luce and they had two daughters and a son. Wig then found employment painting houses for his father. During the winter of 1955, he worked for Nate Berliawsky as a house man and security at the famous Thorndike Hotel. Later that year, he was hired as a house-to-house salesman and worked for 12 years for Harris Baking Co., in Lincolnville, Camden, Rockland and Owls Head.

In 1966, Wig was hired by Knox County Community Action Program as its second employee. He became the director of the federal program, Neighborhood Youth Corps, placing high school dropouts in nonprofit work sites and providing night school so they could receive their GED. While working for KCCAP, he assisted Rev. Kinney in putting together the grant for the Methodist Conference Home in Rockland. As acting CAP director, Wig started the first year-round Head Start program in the Mary E. Taylor School in Camden. He was one of the grant writers for the free transportation buses for senior citizens which later became the Knox County Transit Buses. On Dec. 24, 1969, he was married to Phyllis E. Driscoll.

In 1973, he was hired as the director of employment and training programs for the Midcoast area (Waldo, Knox, Lincoln and Sagadahoc counties). Those programs ended in 1978 and Harold was hired to set up and direct employment training programs for Knox County Human Resources and the Knox County Commission. The programming ended in 1981 and he chose to retire at that time. After retiring, Wig volunteered at Pen Bay Medical Center as an escort worker. He did this for 20 years, until a disability forced him to give it up.

In his younger days, Wig enjoyed hunting and fishing and caught some trophy-size fish. He also enjoyed bowling and started playing golf at age 40. Three years later he won the president's Club Trophy at the Rockland Golf Club. He continued playing golf after retirement with three very good friends in the Central Maine Tournaments for 10 years, until he was physically unable to. For two years, Wig served as post commander of American Legion post 37 in Thomaston, and later, as Knox County commander. He was also a lifetime member of the Knights of Pythias in Thomaston, where he served as treasurer for nine years and received the Chancellor Commander Citation.

Preceded in death by his parents, Wig is survived by his loving wife of 49 and a half years, Phyllis E. Wiggin; daughters Wanda Fortin and her husband, Michael, of Mercer, Ruthie Wiggin of Thomaston; a son, Ron Wiggin, and his wife, Claudia, of Cushing; a brother, Eugene Wiggin, of Owls Head; sisters Marjorie Kalloch of South Thomaston, Ava Allen of Owls Head, Victoria Mason of Webster Mass., Ida Perry and her husband, Fran, of Owls Head; grandchildren Bryon Fortin, Calli Meader and her husband, Jeremy, Meagan Paulovkin and her husband, Jason, Katie Wiggin; step-grandchildren Miranda Kelly and her husband, Michael, and Leah Hirschvogel and her husband, Justin; great-grandchildren Maddox Meader and Kendrick Meader; step-great-grandchildren Sophia Kelly, Bennett Kelly and Amelia Kelly; as well as several nephews and nieces. He is also survived by his beloved dog, Li'l Gracie, whom he cherished for 12 years.

The family would like to express their sincere appreciation to Dr. Mark Eggena and his staff, as well as the staff and volunteers at Sussman House, who provided such loving care to Wig and his family during the end of his journey. He will be deeply missed by all those whose lives he touched and those who loved him so very much.

Visiting hours were held Thursday, Aug. 8, at Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home, 110 Limerock St., Rockland, where a celebration of his life will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Aug. 9. The Rev. Kenneth Dale will officiate.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Sussman House, c/o PenBay Waldo Healthcare Foundation, 22 White St., Rockland, ME 04841.

To share a memory or condolence with Wig’s family, visit their book of memories at bchfh.com.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.