Sign In:


Latest
  • Published
    June 10, 2021

    Historical Photo – Monument Square

    This view of Monument Square was taken some time between 1900 and 1920. The Civil War monument was erected in 1898 and moved to Harbor Park in 1968. The Mount Battie House is atop the mountain; the building with the steeple is the Episcopal Church (now High Mountain Hall).

  • Published
    May 13, 2021

    Historical Photo – Mid-century Camden

    In this view of Main Street in Camden — as it appeared sometime between 1923 and 1947 — the sign for Stratton’s Fish Market is visible in the foreground on the left, just in front of the Garage sign.

  • Published
    May 11, 2021

    Historical Photo – School's Out

    In this detail of photograph, students and teacher pose at the Elm Street School, April 12, 1880.

  • Published
    May 6, 2021

    Historical Photo – Mail's coming!

    A real-photo postcard shows the mail car of the Rockland, Thomaston & Camden Street Railway Express in downtown Camden, c. 1900. The sign on the back of the car reads “U.S. Mail.” Notice all the wires on the utility poles!

  • Published
    April 29, 2021

    Historic Photo – the Carrie C. Miles

    Pictured is the Schooner Carrie C. Miles in Rockport Harbor, undated. The schooner was built in East Boston in 1871, and was wrecked Oct. 15, 1907, on Dry Roamer Shoal off New York, although all four on board were saved. “Owing to our losing the schooner ‘Carrie C. Miles,’ by wrecking in the latter part of October, we have run out of coal at our quarries, and we have been forced thereby, to close down our plant …

  • Published
    April 29, 2021

    Historic Photo – the Carrie C. Miles

    Pictured is the Schooner Carrie C. Miles in Rockport Harbor, undated. The schooner was built in East Boston in 1871, and was wrecked Oct. 15, 1907, on Dry Roamer Shoal off New York, although all four on board were saved. “Owing to our losing the schooner ‘Carrie C. Miles,’ by wrecking in the latter part of October, we have run out of coal at our quarries, and we have been forced thereby, to close down our plant …

  • Published
    April 22, 2021

    Historical Photo – Bustling Maine Street

    Trolley rails are visible on Main Street, Camden, in 1905. The traffic is made up of carriages, but no automobiles — yet.

  • Published
    April 15, 2021

    Historical Photo – Not quite moving day

    The Captain John E. Husby house sits on Atlantic Avenue, shortly before it was moved to the top of Harden Avenue. Husby, who was the skipper of the yacht Monaloa, had been given the house by Chauncey Borland on the condition that he move it out of the way so that the American Boathouse could be built for the Monaloa. A ship’s bowsprit is in the foreground.

  • Published
    April 8, 2021

    Historical Photo – After the fire

    The Bay View House on the Village Green burned down in November 1917. On May 1, this photo was taken of the remains. As reported in his book, “History of Camden, Maine,” John Williams said that in July of 1918 “the remains of the Bay View House were removed, the rubbish hauled away, and the cellar filled in. This greatly enhanced the appearance of the area.”

  • Published
    April 1, 2021

    Historic Photo – Mud Season is Forever

    Car in mud, c 1920. “possibly on Turnpike Drive,” according to the caption.

  • Wellness Minute


  • Offers
  • Briefs
close x