ROCKLAND — A Searsmont man was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison in connection to the overdose death of a resident of a recovery house in Rockland.

Jacob Ingraham, 26, was sentenced Jan. 19 in the Knox County court by Justice Sarah Gilbert to three years and fined $400 for unlawful trafficking in fentanyl. He will begin serving the sentence on March 1.

Ingraham was one of two people charged in connection to the Aug. 19, 2020 death of 48-year-old Timothy Ochtera who died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, heroin and tramadol at the Friends House on Brewster Street in Rockland.

Philip W. Cunningham, 54, who was living in Rockport at the time of the offense, pleaded guilty last year to a drug offense but remains free on bail. Cunningham had agreed to testify against Ingraham if the case went to trial. Ingraham instead pleaded guilty.

Ochtera was a veteran and worked as a carpenter for the past 20 years. His obituary noted he had a long battle with addiction.

Defense attorney Eric “Rick” Morse said his client has turned his life around since the incident. Ingraham spent time at the Waldo County Re-Entry Center on an unrelated drug charge and did excellently there, Morse said. The attorney said Ingraham was addicted and selling the drugs to pay for his own drug habit back in 2020.

According to an affidavit filed in the Knox County court by Rockland Police Detective Sgt. Alex Gaylor, the investigation led Rockland police and the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency to a house on Route 1 in Glen Cove, where Cunningham was living.

Cunningham admitted to police during an Aug. 25, 2020 interview that he was using heroin and overdosed as recently as the night before, but the person who supplied him drugs — Ingraham — revived him with Narcan, according to the affidavit.

Police obtained surveillance video which showed Cunningham making a drug deal with Ingraham to get drugs for Ochtera shortly before Ochtera died from the overdose.

There was also a later telephone call in which Ingraham expressed sorrow for the death of Ochtera, according to the affidavit.

Both Ingraham and Cunningham were charged in 2021.