SOUTH THOMASTON — Crews from around the region battled a house fire Saturday morning on Route 131.

The call came in at 7:09 a.m. Dec. 10 of smoke near an outlet with a glow seen in the ceiling.

When crews arrived there was smoke coming out of the second floor of the Cape Cod-style home at 171 St. George Road. The owner of the property is listed as 497-501 Main St. LLC which is owned by Robert Arena, according to the town’s assessment records and the state corporations bureau.

The home was safely evacuated before crews arrived. Firefighters cut a hole in the roof of the house that is located across from the Finnish Heritage House. Central Maine Power arrived to cut off power to the residence. Fire trucks shuttled water from a hydrant about a mile away to a water holding tank that was erected outside the house.

Damage was contained to one bedroom and the hallway on the first floor, and damage in the attic space. The building has extensive smoke and water damage throughout first floor, attic area and into the basement, according to Deputy Fire Chief David Elwell.

“The occupants of the house were asleep at the time of the fire. Working smoke detectors awoke them. The male got out of bed and grabbed a small fire extinguisher he had in the home and hit the fire quickly. He then evacuated everyone and stayed outside of the home for our arrival. If it was not for the working alarms I don’t know what the outcome would have turned into,” the deputy chief said.

Route 131 was closed to traffic while crews were battling the fire.

In addition to South Thomaston Fire and Emergency Medical Services, Rockland, Thomaston, St. George, Warren, Cushing and Rockport crews were at the scene along with K.K. Kalloch. Some crews were leaving by 8:30 a.m. and the road was reopened not long after that.

South Thomaston Emergnecy Services Auxiliary supplied all personnel with breakfast and coffee.

Firefighters fill a portable water tank outside 171 St. George Road in South Thomaston on Dec. 10. Photo by Stephen Betts

Firefighters cut a hole in the roof of the house at 171 St. George Road in South Thomaston on Dec. 10. Photo by Stephen Betts

Crews from around the region respond to the Dec. 10 fire in South Thomaston. Photo by Stephen Betts

Central Maine Power cut off power to the residence during the Dec. 10 fire in South Thomaston. Photo by Stephen Betts