ROCKLAND — Fire crews from the region were at a Camden Street house on Sunday night, where there was a report of smoke and flames in the basement.

The call came in at about 5:45 p.m. Dec. 4 at 104 Camden St. The report came in of smoke and flames in the basement along with water.

“The homeowner heard a loud pop in the basement and the lights began to flicker. When they opened the basement door they found water in the basement, smoke filling the house, and a fire was visible at the base of the stairs,” Rockland Fire Chief Chris Whytock said.

When crews arrived, they found light smoke in the entire building but firefighters were unable to gain access to the basement due to the water issue and power was still active in the house. Once Central Maine Power cut power to the home, firefighters were able to assess the conditions and found the water heater malfunctioned from the water level in the basement.

“We shut the water off to the house, cleared the building of any further issues, and cleared. The fire was contained to the water heater and the exterior lines had some melting,” the chief said.

“Without quick notification of 911, the fire could have spread to the structure. Our mutual aid partners from Rockport and Camden also responded. While we were on scene, we had a report of an elevator rescue at the Thorndike apartments but were able to have our off duty members handle that call,” the chief said.

Crews from Rockland, Rockport and Camden were at the scene. Central Maine Power arrived shortly after 6 p.m.

Camden Street (Route 1) was blocked with fire trucks and an ambulance. The house is located at the northwest intersection of Camden Street and Bay View Square.

The home is owned by Tracy Sheppard.

Emergency vehicles line Camden Street in Rockland. Photo by Stephen Betts