OWLS HEAD — Local fire departments responded Wednesday night to a report of smoke coming from the wall of an Owls Head home.

Crews from Owls Head, Rockland, South Thomaston and St. George responded to the Nov. 30 call at 171 Lucia Beach Road at about 10 p.m., Owls Head Fire Chief Frank Ross said Thursday morning.

The chief said water had leaked into a wall from a nail that had been driven through and into a misplaced wire.

“Very, very luckily, the resident was awake and noticed the smoke,” the chief said.

The homeowner turned off the appropriate electrical breaker and when fire crews arrived, thermal imaging cameras were able to find the origin of the smoke immediately, he said. The wall was opened and the problem found.

He said crews were able to clear the scene in about 45 minutes.

There were no injuries and the damage was limited to opening up that part of the wall.

“This is a real eye opener for everyone to have a working smoke detector,” Chief Ross said. “The smoke never got enough for a detector to notice but had the homeowner been in or gone to bed, their only hope of limiting damage or possible serious injury would have been the working smoke detector.”

He reminded people to replace batteries in the smoke detectors with winter arriving. He also pointed out detectors should be less than 10 years old.

“They are the cheapest insurance you can buy,” the chief said.