CAMDEN — Fire departments from around the region battled a fire Monday afternoon at the Beloin’s Motel in Camden.

The call came in shortly after 2 p.m. on Nov. 14 for a fire at 254 Belfast Road (Route 1).

Fire departments from around the region were battling a fire Monday afternoon at the Beloin’s Motel in Camden. Photo by Christine Simmonds

In addition to Camden, there were also crews and equipment from Lincolnville, Rockport, Hope and Union.

Smoke was visible coming from Unit 1 of the motel building, which is across the street from Camden Hills State Park.

The initial report said one person was trapped in a room but later there were reports the guest was not at the motel when the fire broke out.

The six-unit motel is owned by Fred Beloin, who said it was closed for the season. He was letting a friend stay there as a favor, and this friend had a space heater. Beloin said he saw smoke coming from the room and opened the door to see if anyone was inside.

When he saw the extent of the fire, Beloin said he knew his extinguisher would not be able to handle the blaze, so he called the Fire Department.

“Guess I’m down to five units,” he said.

He was glad that his friend was not there and was not hurt.

Camden Fire Department Chief Chris Farley said he could not confirm the space heater was the cause of the fire. He said the department’s first priority was finding a place for the man who had been living in the room.

The department contacted Red Cross to provide emergency services for the man.

Farley said once the man had a place to stay, they would begin to look into the cause of the fire.

Smoke rises from the fire in a Camden motel Monday, Nov. 14. Photo by Christine Simmonds