ROCKLAND — A man who is charged with breaking into an Appleton home at night armed with a rifle will not be able to return to Appleton if he raises bail.

Spencer Roberti

Judge John Martin set bail Friday, Oct. 21 for 30-year-old Spencer B. Roberti at $25,000 cash or $10,000 cash if be can get a contract with Maine Pre-Trial Services. The bail conditions set by Judge Martin prohibits Roberti from returning to Appleton.

The judge also required electronic monitoring, house arrest, and that Roberti take all medication if released on bail.

That decision came after one of the victims in the home invasion spoke during the Friday hearing in the Knox County court. There were also letters submitted by residents of Appleton with concerns about Roberti being allowed to return to the town.

The defense had requested that Roberti be released on bail under the watch of a neighbor to the victims of the home invasion. That neighbor — David Robichaud — had spoken at an Oct. 7 court hearing, saying he would watch Roberti at all times and would take him to work with him in Rockland.

“I can’t believe we are even considering allowing him back on this road,” the husband of the family whose home was broken into said at the Oct. 21 hearing. “It’s ludicrous we are even having this conversation.”

Deputy District Attorney Christopher Fernald had argued strongly against Roberti being allowed to stay with the neighbor of the victims. He asked that bail be set at $50,000 cash or $500,000 worth of property.

The prosecutor asked that the letters from residents be considered by the judge.

The property owner of the Thorndike in Rockland, where the neighbor’s business is located, submitted a letter voicing concern for the residents of the housing complex. The Thorndike has 12 commercial spaces and 48 residential units.

Defense attorney Lisa Whittier said as an alternative to staying at the neighbor’s home, Roberti could stay at a sober house in Augusta or Auburn. Roberti had been staying with the neighbor for a short time before the June incident.

She acknowledged that Roberti has some mental health issues.

Judge Martin said that Roberti is entitled to bail if it is sufficient to have him return to court, does not threaten the judicial process, and assures public safety.

Roberti is charged with Class A burglary that carries a potential prison sentence of 30 years as well as aggravated criminal trespass, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

Roberti has been held in jail since his arrest in July. Bail was initially set at $25,000 cash but Judge Martin later reduced it to $10,000 cash with the requirement that Roberti enter into a Maine Pre-Trial Services contract and that a forensic evaluation be done to determine his competency. Maine Pre-Trial had declined to enter a contract with him because of the high risk involved. Whittier argued that this resulted in Roberti being held without bail.

An affidavit filed in the Knox County court by the Knox County Sheriff’s Office after the incident, states a family was woken up by a noise in their home at about 3 a.m. June 15. The husband went downstairs and found a man sitting on the floor with a rifle next to him. The man told the homeowner he was not there to hurt him but he wanted to send a message to “you and your president.”

The husband went back upstairs, armed himself and sheltered his family until police arrived.

The suspect left before officers arrived but an investigation found the suspect opened the homeowner’s gun cabinet and loaded some of the weapons.

Personal belongings of the suspect were found outside including a folding straight razor, a notebook, and art supplies.

Sheriff’s officers interviewed neighbors and determined a man who fit the description of the suspect had been staying at a neighbor’s residence. That neighbor said he allowed the man to stay at his home when the man said he was homeless. The neighbor said he had purchased the man the art supplies.

Police found Roberti had been posting TikTok videos and one had been posted June 14 in which he said “I’ve chosen my side, have you? Time to prepare for war. Peace is not the solution. Destruction will come.”

An arrest warrant was obtained from the court on July 1 and police were able to locate him in the Portland area.