The Shore Village Story, published in 1976 by the Rockland Bicentennial Commission, wrote that members of the Wawenocks or other units of the Penobscot Tribe would come down the Penobscot River and land at a place they called Catawamteak (Great Landing Place) which is now known as Lermond’s Cove in Rockland.

The Native Americans would then travel overland to what is now the St. George River or to the marshlands of South Thomaston, according to the historical book.

They would gather rushes for mat weaving and dig clams.

They timed their trips to the Rockland area for the annual running of the alewives, smelts and salmon where the Mill River met the St. George River in Thomaston.

They also came to Catawamteak to hunt seals.

The Shore Village Story stated that the Native Americans would land at Catawamteak because of the dangers of passing by sea around Owls Head and South Thomaston.

Europeans did not set foot in the region until 1605 with the Weymouth expedition, let by Captain George Weymouth of England. Reports of that expedition stated that some of the men in the Weymouth group hiked to an area between Madambettox (Dodge’s Mountain) and the Talbot Avenue hill.

The Weymouth group met some members of the Penobscot Tribe and kidnapped five of the Native Americans and took them to England aboard the ship Archangel. The Native Americans would be returned to New England years later to serve as interpreters and guides, according to the Shore Village Story.

Beginning in 1620 and for about 150 years, there were conflicts between the Europeans who invaded the Native American lands and the Penobscot Tribe, according to the book.

The Shore Village Story recounts one gruesome attack by European settlers in the Newcastle area killed and scalped nine Native Americans in an attack and buried their bodies in a gully near what is believed to have been where Main Street in Rockland is located.

According to the Shore Village Story, the story of Rockland as a community really began in 1767 when John Lermond and his brothers came to the eastern shore from Warren and built a logging camp at Catawamteak.