ROCKLAND — A former substance abuse counselor was sentenced Thursday to nine months in jail for sexually assaulting a client.

Adrian A. Counce, 44, of Belfast, was sentenced Sept. 15 in the Knox County court to four years in jail with all but nine months suspended for gross sexual assault. He was also placed on probation for two years and fined $2,460. During his probation, Counce must undergo an evaluation for mental health services.

If he violates probation during those two years, he could serve some or all of the suspended part of the sentence.

Counce pleaded no contest, which results in a conviction but does not require him to admit guilt.

Counce was arrested Feb. 3 by the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and charged with gross sexual assault. The affidavit filed by the Sheriff’s Office with the court stated he sexually assaulted a woman who was a client Jan. 27 in Union. The woman was enrolled in a drug education and evaluation program to regain her motor vehicle license.

Counce had been employed as a counselor with Eureka Counseling Services out of Rockland. A news release issued by Eureka in March 2020 stated Counce was named executive director of the organization.

“Counce has helped people for the past 13 years as a mentor, counselor and liaison,” the press release stated in March 2020.

His license to work as a counselor was suspended after his arrest.

Eureka Counseling Services in Rockland, where he worked, is not currently licensed as a substance use disorder service agency with the Maine Department of Health and Human Services. Eureka had a conditional license that expired Feb. 5 and the company did not apply to renew the license.

In 2003, Counce, then of Rockland, was sentenced to 12 years in prison with all but two years suspended for manslaughter in connection to a fatal motor vehicle crash on April 29, 2001 in South Thomaston that claimed the life of 16-year-old Danny Blastow. Counce was also placed on probation for six years for that manslaughter conviction and ordered to perform 1,000 hours of community service.

He violated probation in 2009 and was sentenced to three additional days in jail.