ROCKLAND — Free and reduced-price meal benefit applications are now available for families
with students enrolled in RSU 40 and RSU 13, both of which are participating in the National School Lunch Program
(NSLP / Provision 11). Meals will be provided to enrolled students at no charge in Maine public
schools participating in the National School Lunch Program due to State of Maine Legislation.

While meals are provided for no charge, it is still important to complete the School Year 2023
free and reduced-price meal benefit application. Students may be eligible for additional benefits,
such as the USDA pandemic EBT program. The family income data provided by the applications informs key funding for school resources. This includes school meal reimbursements, funding for Title I programs, funding and resources for after-school programs, funding provided to schools from the Maine State Legislature, teacher and student loan forgiveness, and more. A lack of data from the applications could result in fewer resources for schools.

The following household income guidelines for the 2023 school year have been provided by the
United States Department of Agriculture.

US Department of Agriculture

To apply, fill out a Free and Reduced Price Meal Benefit Application and return it your local
school district. The information provided on the application is confidential. Applications may
be submitted any time during the school year. A complete application is required as a condition
of eligibility. A complete application includes: (1) household income from all sources or Food
Stamp/TANF case number, (2) names of all household members, and (3) the signature and last
four digits of social security number or indication of no social security number of adult
household member signing the application. School officials may verify current income at any
time during the school year. Foster children may be eligible regardless of the income of the household with whom they

A determining official of the school district will review the application and determine eligibility. If a
parent/guardian is dissatisfied with the ruling of the determining official, they may wish to
discuss the decision with the hearing official on an informal basis or he/she may make a request
either orally or in writing to the school district’s hearing official.