The Rockport Garden Club will have master gardeners, Karen Simpson and Maryanne Ward present the history and restoration of the Blaine House at the Governor’s mansion in Augusta, Sept. 1 at 1 p.m., on the lower level of the West Rockport Baptist Church, 545 Park St., West Rockport.

The garden was originally designed by the Olmsted brothers in 1920 as an English cottage garden that was called the “The New England Garden.” The garden began restoration in 2006 and 2007 under First Lady Karen Baldacci. The goal was to adapt the garden to its existing site, while staying true to the original design. Simpson and Ward were part of the team of garden “caregivers” who spent years helping to bring the garden back to its original glory. They will discuss all the aspects that go into bringing an old garden back to life and maintaining it.

The Rockport Garden Club is a 501c3 organization whose members enhance the landscape of the town of Rockport by planting and caring for gardens throughout the town, including Andre the Seal. They provide yearly scholarships to chosen local high school seniors and local people who continue their education in Environmental Studies and Horticulture.