WALDOBORO — The parents of an 18-year-old man shot and killed by a police officer in Waldoboro in 2007 say the cover-up continues.

Natalie Jackson said the failure of Maine Attorney General Aaron Frey to meet with her and her husband, and his failure to release a report on the 2007 shooting of their son, Gregori Jackson, shows that the state continues to cover up its initial mishandling of the investigation.

The attorney general had said in January 2022 his office’s investigation of the shooting would be released soon. A report has yet to be released. After three emails to the attorney general since June 23 by the Courier-Gazette, department spokeswoman Danna Hayes, the special assistant to the attorney general, issued the following statement on Friday, Aug. 12.

“There will be a report forthcoming. We do not have a comment otherwise,” Hayes stated.

Natalie Jackson said she and her husband had been offered a meeting with Frey back in December to be updated on the investigation but Frey refused to meet after they insisted state Rep. Charlotte Warren and a reporter for the Portland Press Herald also be allowed to attend the meeting.

Jackson said she was upset when after refusing to meet, the attorney general gave an interview to the same reporter and put his spin on the investigation.

State Rep. Jeffrey Evangelos, an independent from Friendship who has advocated for the Jackson family, said he and the family have heard absolutely nothing from Frey.

“The count stands at 185-0, all justified. Zero is an operative number; it means there is no justice in Maine,” Rep. Evangelos said, referencing the number of police shootings in Maine and how every instance was determined to be a justified use of deadly force.

In June 2020, the attorney general issued a statement: “To reopen this matter is a careful deliberative process involving experienced homicide prosecutors and we are prioritizing the completion of this review over other matters.”

Frey said in June 2020 this was “a case with several complicated factors, including consideration of whether or not the state can disprove self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt.”

The Sept. 23, 2007 shooting occurred after a traffic stop on Friendship Road in Waldoboro. Then Reserve Officer Zachary Curtis determined Jackson, a passenger in the car, violated bail conditions on prior operating under the influence and failure to stop for an officer charges, police said. The alleged violation was Jackson had been drinking.

When Curtis tried to arrest Jackson, the youth resisted and was pepper-sprayed by the officer. Jackson ran down the road and then into the woods, pursued by Curtis.

The officer claimed Jackson resisted arrest and further claimed the teen struck Curtis with a log.

Curtis said Jackson got on top of him, was trying to choke him and then put his hand on the officer’s gun.

The attorney general’s office, then under Attorney General Steven Rowe, issued a statement Nov. 30, 2007 saying its investigation found the shooting justified. There has never been a police shooting in Maine that was declared unjustified by the attorney general’s office.

District Attorney Natasha Irving said at a June 2020 news conference she would file murder charges if the attorney general’s office did not act. The attorney general’s office has maintained only they have the power to file murder charges in Maine. Irving has since conceded that murder charges are the jurisdiction of the attorney general.

Irving said at the June 2020 news conference the forensic evidence clearly showed Curtis’ claims of how the shooting occurred simply could not have happened. Those inconsistencies included almost no blood on Curtis even though he claims Jackson was on top of him when the officer repeatedly fired his gun into the back, and the back of the head, of Jackson.

There also were no bruises on Jackson’s hands or Curtis’ face, even though the former officer claimed Jackson had been beating him.

“Considering the incontrovertible evidence that Reserve Officer Curtis’ multiple shots to Gregori’s back severed Gregori’s spine, there is no justification to end Gregori Jackson’s life with that last shot to the skull,” Irving said in June 2020.

Attorney Amy Fairfield, who represents the family, said in June 2020 the medical examiner who performed the autopsy on Jackson was never asked questions by the attorney general’s office during its initial review in 2007.