ROCKPORT — Rockport Fire Department responded to a fire in the early hours of the morning Friday, Aug. 5, at Camden Hills Regional High School and was able to keep the blaze from doing more extensive damage.

The alarm went out at 1:29 a.m.

“When we arrived, alarms were sounding,” a post on the fire department Facebook page states. “We gained entry and found the building full of smoke, several halls and rooms with water damage, and the charred remains of a fan used for drying the floors.”

Firefighters believe a floor fan for the waxing that was being done malfunctioned and the sprinkler system did what its designed to do, putting the fire out.

“We are hoping that reviewing the school’s video footage will show what exactly occurred in that area. Next time you see a janitor, thank them for their work. I’m sure the newly waxed floors looked nice before this happened and we left them to tend to a very large mess.”

This was the department’s fifth call between midnight and 5 a.m. in the last two weeks. A total of 15 firefighters responded.

The department thanks its dedicated volunteers that go to fire alarms, even in the middle of the night. It also offered a “thank you” to Rockport Maine Police Department for its assistance.

A firefighter deals with sprinklers at Camden Hills Regional High School Aug. 5. Photo from the Rockport Fire Department Facebook page.

The incident at Camden Hills Regional High School appears to have caused smoke and water damage. Photo from the Rockport Fire Department Facebook page.

A small fire at Camden Hills Regional High School early Aug. 5 left a big mess. Photo from the Rockport Fire Department Facebook page.