Maine Attorney General Aaron Frey said a final report on his office’s review of a 2007 police shooting in Waldoboro, that claimed the life of 18-year-old Gregori Jackson, should be issued soon.

Frey commented Saturday, Jan. 8 about the review that began after a June 2020 news conference in Augusta in which independent state Rep. Jeffrey Evangelos of Friendship, with the Jackson family, called for the state to file murder charges against the then officer who shot Jackson.

Frey said he would notify Jackson’s family first before issuing the report to the public.

In June 2020, the attorney general issued a statement: “To reopen this matter is a careful deliberative process involving experienced homicide prosecutors and we are prioritizing the completion of this review over other matters.”

Frey said in June 2020 this was “a case with several complicated factors, including consideration of whether or not the state can disprove self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt.”

The AG had not issued any public updates since then, until the Jan. 8, 2022 statement.

The Sept. 23, 2007 shooting occurred after a traffic stop on Friendship Road in Waldoboro. Then reserve Officer Zachary Curtis determined Jackson, a passenger in the car, violated bail conditions on prior operating under the influence and failure to stop for an officer charges, police said. The alleged violation was Jackson had been drinking.

When Curtis tried to arrest Jackson, the youth resisted and was pepper-sprayed by the officer. Jackson ran down the road and then into the woods, pursued by Curtis.

The officer claimed Jackson resisted arrest and the teen struck Curtis with a log.

Curtis further claimed Jackson got on top of him, was trying to choke him and then put his hand on the officer’s gun.

The AG’s Office, then under Attorney General Steven Rowe, issued a statement Nov. 30, 2007 saying its investigation found the shooting justified. There has never been a police shooting in Maine that was declared unjustified by the AG’s office.

District Attorney Natasha Irving said at that June 2020 news conference she would file murder charges if the AG’s office did not act. The AG’s office has maintained only the AG’s office has the power to file murder charges in Maine.

Irving also said in June she would be seeking whistle blower protection so the Maine Attorney General’s Office did not interfere with her prosecution or retaliate against her office.

Irving went through the public record on the case and said the forensic evidence clearly showed Curtis’ claims of how the shooting occurred simply could not have happened. Those inconsistencies included almost no blood on Curtis even though he claims Jackson was on top of him when he repeatedly fired his gun into the back, and the back of the head, of Jackson.

There also were no bruises on Jackson’s hands or Curtis’ face, even though the former officer claimed Jackson had been beating him.

“Considering the incontrovertible evidence that Reserve Officer Curtis’ multiple shots to Gregori’s back severed Gregori’s spine, there is no justification to end Gregori Jackson’s life with that last shot to the skull,” Irving said in June 2020.

She said the decision to prosecute was not a close call nor a long shot.

Attorney Amy Fairfield who represents the family said in June 2020 the medical examiner who performed the autopsy on Jackson was never asked questions by the AG’s Office during its initial review in 2007.