APPLETON — Fire departments from five towns responded to a burning shed early in the morning Tuesday, Dec. 28 at 807 Union Rd.

The call went out just after 5 a.m. and the building was fully engulfed in flames when the fire department arrived, according to Chief Prent Marriner.

No one was injured in the blaze, but one chicken may have been lost.

The approximately 240-square-foot outbuilding was being used to store things and a heating lamp there was warming a chicken. Marriner believes the lamp may have started the fire.

The shed was close to an addition to the house and some overhanging trees, but work of the firefighters prevented it from spreading.

The fire was knocked down quickly, but firefighters remained on scene for some time checking all of the items from the shed, removing them and turning them over to be sure they were not in danger of reigniting the blaze.

Firefighters from Appleton, Washington, Union, Hope and Searsmont responded.

Related Headlines