ROCKLAND — The Rockland Fire Department has been busy over the past few days with calls that have had some close calls, but no significant damages.

The latest came Monday evening, Dec. 20, shortly before 6 p.m., when there was a report of an odor of burning plastic from the Breakwater Marketplace at 91 Camden St. The four-story, 89,000-square-foot, wooden building is occupied by several tenants including the University of Maine of Augusta Rockland Center, the Maine Department of Health and Human Services, and Jensen’s Pharmacy.

Rockland Fire Chief Christopher Whytock said Dec. 20 there was smoke and a burning smell within the building.

“We were able to isolate it to an area on the first floor and found a heating unit above the ceiling that was malfunctioning,” Whytock said. “Due to the size of the building, and the potential for spread, the duty officer stuck a first alarm. Camden and Rockport helped out with crews searching the upper floors for smoke spread.”

Shortly before 9 a.m. on Monday, the department was called to the report of a fire at a residential building on Claremont Street. A coffee brewer had been left on the top of a stove and the plastic parts started melting, creating smoke.

And on Saturday morning, the fire department responded to a residence on First Street when pizza boxes were stored in the oven the night before, and the next morning, the oven was turned on, igniting the boxes.