CAMDEN — The Public Works Department has completed much of the needed work on 23 areas where town roads and infrastructure were damaged by heavy rains the night of Oct. 30/31.

The Select Board had planned to discuss the storm damage Nov. 16, but will do this at an upcoming meeting, as the damage report was not yet finalized, according to Chair Bob Falciani.

Repairing damage to washed out roadbeds and shoulders, ends of driveways and culverts required many hours of labor and use of  the department’s heavy equipment, including dump trucks, excavators and loaders, according to Public Works Director Dave St. Laurent, who is documenting the work.

“The lion’s share was repairing wash outs,” St. Laurent said Nov. 23. The damage comes from having so much water come down at once. It can’t get into catch basins, and runs along the sides of roadways gaining speed and velocity, he explained.

Since 1958, heavy rainfall events have increased by 55% in the Northeastern United States according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The heavy rains rushed over the recently upgraded harbor walkway in downtown, washing out gravel lining the walkway, which ended up on the public landing. This repair was done quickly, but required four laborers and heavy equipment.

Crushed rock washed out of an updated harbor walkway in downtown Camden, and has been replaced with larger rock less likely to wash away. Photo by Susan Mustapich

One of the larger repair jobs involved rebuilding and repaving a washed out area of Rollins Road. The work took about 12 hours over three days, from Oct. 31 to Nov. 3.

Flooding washed out shoulder material, which has been replaced, on Hosmer Pond and Barnestown roads, Route 105 and Union Street.

Repairs to eroded shoulder material on Melvin Heights Road took 18 hours over three days.

A washed out culvert up on the Snow Bowl ski slope was an eight-hour repair.

Repair to a town easement for sewer and stormwater systems behind Belmont Avenue was a 19 hour job, and involved rebuilding a drainage area with stone.

Repairs to a washed out driveway behind the Belmont Inn near Whitmore Avenue took two hours, but was labor- and equipment-intensive. Three laborers, two dump trucks, a backhoe and material were needed.

Most of a driveway on Free Street had to be rebuilt due to flooding caused by plugged catch basins. This job required two laborers, a dump truck and a mini loader.

A culvert eroded away on Rawson Avenue between Route 105 and the Megunticook River. Replacing the culvert was an eight-hour job.

State highway Route 52 also saw major damage due to water pouring off the hills and along the shoulder in the area near the Maiden Cliff Trail parking lot. The road buckled, causing temporary closure of a section of the highway. Maine Department of Transportation had to rebuild the roadbed and pave before reopening the section.

A section of state road Route 52 that buckled due to heavy rains Oct. 30/31 was repaired and reopened. Courtesy of Chris Farley