SOUTH THOMASTON — A purse left on a stove was the cause of smoke filling the upper floors of the building which houses the Keag Store in South Thomaston on Sunday night.
The call came in shortly before 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17 for a structure fire at 4 Elm St. in the apartment above the Keag Store, South Thomaston Fire Chief Bryan Calderwood said Sunday night.
The chief was the first fire crew member on scene and found smoke coming from the eaves of the structure. Initial responders from the South Thomaston Fire Department made entry and found heavy smoke conditions on the second and third floor with smoke detectors going off and no fire. South Thomaston crews set up a ventilation fan to remove the smoke from the building.
The store was evacuated upon the chief’s arrival. He said the cause of the fire was a purse left on top of an electric stove that was left on in an apartment. A store employee removed the purse from the stove.
The occupants of the apartment were not home at the time of the incident but did arrive shortly afterwards, the chief said.
Responding units were two engines from South Thomaston, South Thomaston ambulance, a tanker and engine from St. George, a ladder truck from Thomaston, an engine from Rockland, and a tanker each from Warren, Owls Head, and Union.

Keag Store Facebook page