THOMASTON — The Thomaston Historical Society announced its selection by the Maine Bicentennial Commission to receive grant funds to celebrate 200 years of shipbuilding in the town.

Susan Devlin of the Thomaston Historical Society said she was very proud of the society’s accomplishments for this grant, including the efforts of local historian Peggy McCrea.

Funds from the grant were used for three components: a large plaque commemorating Thomaston’s shipbuilding history; a 16-page color booklet on shipyards and shipbuilders of Thomaston; 10 large color posters profiling shipyard owners and builders.

The plaque is 63 inches by 48 inches and was placed at the Thomaston Public Landing Overlook. It shows a map of the town from 1855 and lists the location of 12 prominent shipyards and their owners.

Lowe’s Home Improvement of Thomaston provided the framing, and Thomaston’s Public Works Department installed the plaque. It was unveiled in August in a small dedication ceremony with town officials.

The booklet, “The Town That Went to Sea: Major Shipyards and Shipbuilders of Thomaston,” features photos from the Thomaston Historical Society, information about 10 shipyards in Thomaston and examples of vessels built in town.

This complimentary booklet is available at the plaque, the town office and the Thomaston Historical Society, located at 80 Knox St.

The 10 framed posters show different local shipyard owners and builders and their contributions to the shipbuilding industry.

These posters begin with Captain Edward Robinson, a U.S. Representative born in Cushing in 1796. Robinson was a prominent resident and shipbuilder until his death in 1857.

The most recent posters include Cabot and Drew Lyman, who are still building ships at Lyman Morse.

These posters are currently on display at the main hall of the Thomaston Municipal Building on Valley Street. This is the first display to be placed at the new Thomaston Historical Society satellite gallery in the municipal building, which was erected with donations from Brooks Trap Mill and Lowe’s of Thomaston.

The posters are available to travel to other sites as an exhibit. Interested parties can contact the Thomaston Historical Society at 354-2295.

Thomaston Town Manager Kara George unveils the shipbuilding plaque commemorating 200 years of the industry. Photo by Jeremy George