BAR HARBOR — With seemingly every turn of the head, COVID-19’s ugly face can be found halting routines, and the Camden Hills football team saw the effects of what that looks like on Friday, Oct. 1 when nine of its starters or key players were sidelined due to quarantine protocols.

The Windjammers have had to redirect their ship multiple times in the regular season, as originally-scheduled opponents were swapped for another one or two days before the game, or have had contests outright canceled.

Although no schedule changes took place for the Windjammers this week, young players were forced to step up, while other starters were forced to play out of position.

None of that seemed to matter, though, as the plan put in place went off without a hitch, as Camden Hills went on the road and dominated the Mount Desert Island Trojans 32-8 in eight-man high school football.

Windjammer head coach Chris Christie noted the team was missing “two starting offensive linemen, our top defensive lineman, second- and third string running backs, among others,” while “senior Ryan Clifford had to play defense for the first time this season at safety.”

“In a season of uncertainty, this week was no different,” said Christie. “Our remaining starters, and a determined group of younger players, stepped up and executed what the coaches developed throughout the week. We will look back on this game as a game that helped develop this program.”

After a scoreless first quarter, Camden Hills tallied 16 points in the second quarter for a 16-0 halftime lead, and added another 16 points in the third quarter for a 32-0 advantage, before the Trojans scored their only points in the final frame.

The Windjammers racked up 340 yards of offense on 66 plays, with 290 on the ground and 50 through the air, while MDI had 215 total yards (113 rushing and 102 passing) on 50 offensive plays.

Hunter Norton accounted for the majority of the offensive yardage, as the senior led the Windjammers with 221 rushing yards and 40 receiving yards with four touchdowns and two two-point conversions. Clifford threw for 50 yards, and ran for an additional 83 yards, with his lone touchdown through the air to Norton. Clifford also connected with Enzo Russillo for a two-point conversion, while Clifford ran for one.

Additionally, Hayden Davis rushed two times for five yards, while Will Haslam had one reception for 10 yards for the Windjammers.

Camden Hills finished with 20 first downs, and was 3-of-9 (33 percent) on third down, and 3-of-6 (50 percent) on fourth down.

The Trojans had nine first downs, and were 3-of-9 (33 percent) on third down and 0-of-4 on fourth down.

The Windjammer defense forced three turnovers, as Clifford (7 solo tackles, interception, assisted tackle) led the way, while Russilo (4 solos, 2 tackles-for-loss, quarterback sack, fumble recovery, assist), Norton (6 solos, 6 assists), Mason Thomas (2 solos, sack tackle-for-loss, assist), Haslam (4 solos, assist), Mason Chadwick (2 solos, 2 assists), James Johndro (2 assists), Franklin Coffey (2 assists), Davis (assist) and Matt Mitchell (assist) made quality plays.

Camden Hills lost four fumbles in the contest, and had 10 penalties for 74 yards. The Trojans had six penalties for 69 yards.

Norton kicked five times for 96 yards, while Clifford’s one punt traveled 53 yards.

In the second quarter Norton scored from two yards, while Russillo found Clifford for a two-point conversion, to put the visitors up 8-0. Norton found the end zone again from four yards, and ran for the two-point conversion to double the score to 16-0.

In the third quarter, Norton caught a 24-yard touchdown from Clifford, as Clifford converted the two-point conversion with his legs to increase the score to 24-0. Norton broke free again in the third quarter for a 75-yard touchdown run, and ran for his second two-point conversion for the Windjammers final points on the night.

The Trojans scored their lone points in the fourth quarter with a 53-yard rushing touchdown and two-point conversion.

“I am continually amazed at the incredible parents, siblings, and friends that support this program,” Christie said. “This game was two hours away and we had tremendous support.”