PROVINCETOWN, Mass. — The National Transportation Safety Board issued a preliminary report this week on the Sept. 9 crash of a Cape Air airplane that flew out of the Knox County Regional Airport the morning of the accident that occurred in Provincetown, Mass.

The board’s report said another Cape Air pilot, who was waiting to takeoff at the Provincetown Municipal Airport, witnessed the crash.

The crash seriously injured both the pilot and six passengers. The plane was flying from Boston to Provincetown. The pilot, Piet Dijkstra of Appleton, is credited by one passenger with saving her life when the plane caught fire after the crash.

“As the airplane got closer to his position, he [other pilot] could tell that it was traveling ‘a little faster than it should be.’ The pilot could not estimate the airplane’s speed, but it was traveling faster than he would have expected, and he knew it would not have room to stop on the remaining runway.

“The airplane then took off and entered a slow climb. The pilot holding short said the altitude of the airplane appeared normal, but it was climbing slower than he thought it should. The airplane cleared the localizer antennas at the far end of the runway, then the perimeter fence, before it struck trees. The airplane disappeared into the trees, and he then saw a ball of flames,” the report states.

The plane left Owls Head early that morning before making flights between Boston and Provincetown. The flight took off from Boston-Logan International Airport at 3:04 p.m. and the crash occurred at 3:27 p.m.

According to the board’s report, the pilot was cleared by air traffic control for an instrument approach. The captain of the plane contacted the waiting Cape Air pilot over the airport’s common traffic advisory frequency to ask if the airport lights were on. The other pilot responded that the lights were on, visibility improved and rain was subsiding.

A preliminary review of an airport surveillance video revealed it was raining heavily at the time the plane landed. As the airplane touched down on the runway, a splash of water was observed.

During the landing rollout, as the plane passed the airport’s windsock, the windsock’s movement was consistent with the airplane landing with a tailwind. The plane began to climb as it neared the end of the runway. The plane entered a shallow climb and collided with trees. The plane disappeared into the trees and shortly after, a large fireball was observed.

Examination of the accident site revealed the airplane came to rest upright approximately 200 feet from its initial contact with the trees. A post-impact fire consumed portions of the left and right wings.

The pilot holds an airline transport pilot certificate with a rating for airplane multi-engine land.

He also held a commercial pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single engine land. In addition, the pilot held a flight instructor certificate with ratings for single and multi-engine airplanes, and instrument airplane. The pilot reported a total of 17,617 flight hours, of which 10,000 hours were in the Cessna 402.

The weather conditions reported at the time of the crash was 10 knots, visibility three miles in heavy rain and mist, few clouds at 200 feet, an overcast ceiling at 500 feet, and the temperature was 70 degrees Fahrenheit.