ROCKPORT — As soon as the opening whistle sounded, the Camden Hills field hockey team put the pressure on neighboring rival Oceanside.

The contest was the first for the Windjammers in the 2021 regular season — after their opener scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 2 against Belfast was postponed — and the hosts controlled play in its offensive zone in the first quarter as if the squad was in midseason form.

The early offensive dominance proved to pay off with a lead for the hosts, but the Mariners (2-1) staged a comeback and held off the Windjammers (0-1) in the final minutes to capture 2-1 victory on Tuesday, Sept. 7.

Oceanside’s Cassidy Novicka, left, and Camden Hills’ Sara Ackley. Photo by Zack Miller

The game was scoreless after the first quarter, tied 1-1 at halftime, while Oceanside led 2-1 after three stanzas.

Colette Black found the back of the cage both times for Oceanside, with goals late in the second quarter and early in the third.

Alexis Wilmot scored for the Windjammers in the second quarter.

Oceanside’s Erin Stevenson, left, and Camden Hills’ Charlotte Hood. Photo by Zack Miller

Camden Hills held a 9-1 advantage in penalty corners, as well as 7-6 edge in shots on goal.

Mackenzie Hobbs stopped six shots in the cage for Oceanside, while Tess Hodgkins made three saves in goal for the Windjammers.

From the opening seconds the hosts held the momentum, as the opening quarter saw the Camden Hills’ offense put the Mariner defense on its heels.

Despite the offensive attack in the opening quarter, the Mariners held strong, but could not get their offense moving forward as they failed to record a shot on goal.

As it normally does, the momentum paid off for the Windjammers as Wilmot found the back of the cage, when the ball rolled through the defense and found her open stick for an easy go-ahead goal with 6:11 left before halftime.

The Mariner play then went from heel to toe, as the visitors’ offense clicked into gear.

Off a penalty corner, Black gained control of the ball at the top of the circle, made forcible contact to send the ball rocketing toward the cage, and in, to tie the score with 1:21 to play before the half.

Oceanside’s Mackenzie Hobbs, left, and Camden Hills’ Natalie Lindahl. Photo by Zack Miller

It did not take Oceanside long in the second half to take the lead, as the Mariners used crisp passes through the Windjammer defense.

Erin Stevenson forced a turnover in the Windjammer offensive zone, as Maddie Ripley gained control and passed to the left side to Bailey Breen.

Breen turned and fired a perfect pass to Winter Adams, right over the midfield line, and Adams’ pass found Colette Black mid-stride. Black made perfect contact again, as the ball soared through the air, bounced once directly in front of the cage and in for the go-ahead goal.

With four minutes to play the Windjammers turned it into overdrive, as the hosts earned four penalty corners in that span, but had shots drift wide left and right of the cage, or were stymied by the Mariner defense.