ROCKPORT — After not being able to play in 2020 due to the pandemic, the Camden Hills boys soccer team was back on the high school pitch on Friday, Sept. 3 in a home game against Lewiston on Don Palmer Field.

Lewiston got on the board early and survived a furious Windjammer second-half comeback bid to earn valuable early-season Heal Points with a 4-2 victory.

Camden Hills’ Roan Aldridge-Peacock, left, and Lewiston’s Efraim Kindu. Photo by Zack Miller

“We were so happy to play soccer again today,” said Windjammer coach Ryan Hurley. “After not playing a varsity game since 2019, we knew it would take a little time to get acclimated to the pace of play and the physical challenge that Lewiston would bring. The first half was tough, we made a few mistakes that they capitalized on, but, overall, we played quite well.

“In the second half we played inspired and took control of the game. Our team is on the younger side and this was a really valuable experience. I know we learned a lot about ourselves today and showed a tremendous amount of character and desire. We are confident that we will continue to grow as the season progresses and be a team capable of challenging for the Northern Maine ‘A’ title.”

Camden Hills’ Lucas Moody, left, and Lewiston’s Igor Domingues. Photo by Zack Miller

Igor Domingues scored a minute into the contest after he received a cross from the left side of the penalty area and volleyed home a solid left-footed shot to give Lewiston a 1-0 edge. Dominguez scored again early in the first half after he raced to a breakaway and eluded Camden Hills goalie Henry Pharris.

Nur Hamze closed the first-half scoring with a nifty chipped ball over Pharris to give the visitors a 3-0 lead.

The Windjammers regrouped at halftime and came out with renewed purpose, Hurley said. Eric LeBlond beat a defender to the endline and centered a cross for Ben Schenk, who hammered the ball into the back of the net from the six-yard box to make it 3-1.

Camden Hills’ Charlie Pons, top, and Lewiston’s Shafi Ibrahim. Photo by Zack Miller

Abdi Hassan scored in the second half for the Blue Devils to make it 4-1.

With 20 minutes to go, Sam Brownawell crushed a ball off the crossbar that looked destined for the net and there were several other almost-goals for the Windjammers, Hurley said. In fact, Cam Brown raced into the area only to be taken down and awarded a penalty kick. Brown smashed the penalty into the net to close the gap to 4-2 where it would stay until the final whistle.

Camden Hills’ Jackson Fitch. Photo by Zack Miller

The Blue Devils held a 12-8 edge in shots and Windjammers 3-2 advantage in corner kicks.

Pharris made six saves in net for Camden Hills, while Tanner Anctil had five stops in goal for the Blue Devils.

MaineStay Media/VillageSoup sports staff can be reached by email at