ROCKLAND — In its first official and traditional regular-season game in two years, the Oceanside football team fell behind 8-0 in the first quarter against Hampden Academy; however, before the rains came, the home-standing Mariners scored 14 unanswered points en route to 14-8 campaign-opening victory over the Broncos at Wasgatt Field.

The Mariners added eight points of their own later in the first quarter — and 14 points in all in the first half — before the rest of the game proved “a rainy stalemate,” said Oceanside coach Wes Drinkwater.

Oceanside players, from left, Nate Thompson, Gavin Ripley, Zak Higgins, Quinten Robinson and Rachean Dotson, on the field for Friday night lights. Photo by Ken Waltz

After the Broncos went ahead 8-0 in the first quarter on Landen Gabric’s score and a two-point conversion, the Mariners got a 10-yard touchdown run by Aidan Sargeant and a subsequent two-point conversion knotted the score.

Then, Sargeant’s second touchdown of the game — this time from three yards out — proved the difference in the final score.

“In the first quarter we seemed unsure of what to do,” said Drinkwater. “Some stupid penalties and timing mistakes. But they settled down after a few drives. Aidan Sargeant stepped up as a running back. He’s learning he can’t run away from everyone anymore like he could in eighth grade, but he’s going to be solid for us for the next few years.”

Drinkwater added Hale Morris and Jason Leclerc were standouts defensively for Oceanside, and Jack Elwell, Lukas Reed, Cody Benner and Maddox Robishaw “were tough all night,” as was the team’s offensive line and quarterback Jacob Carroll.

“[Carroll] made throws when he had to and looked comfortable running the show at QB,” said the veteran coach. “This team is so young [and] it’s fun to watch them learn and pick things up.

“The secondary needs some tweaks in coverage, but we will get there. Kids need to get back in football shape and you could see it all night, but they grew up over those last six minutes [of the game]. We had to coach it into them, but they dug their heels in and held their ground and we got the win. I was happy for them.”